Expat FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Home > Expat FAQ > Departure

What is an ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain)?

Permanent Residence in the UK is called Indefinite Leave to Remain. ILR is granted to people who have already shown a commitment to the UK on a temporary visa (such as those who have successfully obtained the UK EEA Family Permit). ILR requires you to not spend 2 years or more outside of the UK, as this can lead to it being revoked.

Requirements depend on what visa they currently have and for how long. Applicants must have sufficient knowledge of the English language and life in the United Kingdom (Applicants under the age of 18 or over the age of 65 are exempt from this requirement).


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers
International Movers
Compare up to 5 quotes from our network of moving companies that can help you plan your international move and relocate your entire family.
Expatriate health insurance
Expatriate health insurance
Apply online for free quotes on repatriation assistance and expatriate and foreign health insurance.
Find accommodation
Find accommodation
Uniplaces is an online marketplace for booking mid-long term accommodation with thousands of verified properties.
You will get discount hotel rates, last-minute deals, hot deals, special offers, with a real-time reservation and on-line booking.

Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.

You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.

The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.

For other discussions, advice, question, point of view, get together, etc...: please use the forum.

Stay connected

- My Life Abroad -
A selection of expat stories

"A fun compulsive read!"
J. Matcham, Amazon

"I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
Patrice, Amazon