Expat FAQ

Do you have a general question on expatriation? FAQs give you answers to the most frequent questions: Departure.

What is an EEA2 for the UK Home Office?

EEA2- Residence Card (non-EEA or non-Swiss national family members of EEA or Swiss nationals)

For non-EEA members, an EEA2 is a residence card that confirms their right of residence under European law as a family member of an EEA national. A family member is a spouse or partner, dependent children, dependent parents and grandparents.

Necessary documents must be originals. Any documents which are not in English must be accompanied by a reliable English translation.

    Applications must include:
  • Valid passport or ID card
  • Two identical passport-size photographs of yourself with your full name written on the back of each one. If a family member is applying with you, they must also include two identical passport-size photographs
  • Your EEA or Swiss family member's passport or ID card
  • If section 4 (employment) has been completed, evidence of your EEA or Swiss family member's employment (or your employment) as a worker, including letter(s) from employer(s); contract(s) of employment, and the most recent wage slips (at least one should be provided). These should feature a full national insurance number rather than a temporary one
  • If section 5 (self-employment) has been completed, documents as evidence of your EEA or Swiss family member's self-employment (or your self-employment), such as Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) card, a lease on business premises, bank statements, invoices, Inland Revenue self-assessment forms or national insurance contributions.
  • If section 6 (student) has been completed, a school, college or university letter confirming that your EEA or Swiss family
  • member is enrolled on a course of study and giving the completion date and evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance. If your family member is in receipt of a grant or scholarship, provide evidence of this. If they are not, other evidence of funds such as a bank statement should be provided.

The card is valid for 5 years and is issued as a sticker (vignette) that is placed in the holder's passport.

EEA2 Application


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Addthis

Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.

You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.

The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.

For other discussions, advice, question, point of view, get together, etc...: please use the forum.

- My Life Abroad -
A selection of expat stories

"A fun compulsive read!"
J. Matcham, Amazon

"I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
Patrice, Amazon