Expat FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Home > Expat FAQ > Departure

Canada: How do I obtain a study permit?

If you are coming to Canada to study, you may be eligible for a study permit. You must be admitted to study in an eligible Canadian institution, have no criminal record, provide evidence of good physical health and demonstrate that you will be able to cover your expenses, including tuition, while you are in Canada. You must apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. As a holder of a study permit, you may be able to obtain a temporary work visa that allows you to work up to 20 hours per week either on or off campus while you remain enrolled full-time.

If you wish to study in Canada for less than six months, you do not need a study permit. You also may not need a study permit if you are accompanying a family member who is accredited by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada as a staff member or foreign representative. If you are a uniformed member of the armed services of foreign countries serving under the Visiting Forces Act, you may also be eligible to study in Canada without obtaining a student visa. However, any family members that accompany you, including your minor children, must apply for temporary residence visas.

Necessary Documents for a Study Permit Application

  • Application for Study Permit
  • Letter of Acceptance from Educational Institution
  • Application for Temporary Resident Visa (If Necessary)
  • Custodian Declaration (for Minors Studying in Canada)
  • Proof of Financial Support
  • Certificate d'Acceptation du Québec (if Applicable)
  • Photocopy of Passport Information Page (if Applying from a Visa-Exempt Country)
  • Original Passport with At Least One Blank Page (if Applying from a Non Visa-Exempt Country)
  • Two (2) Color Headshot Photos
  • Applicable Study Permit Fee


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers
International Movers
Compare up to 5 quotes from our network of moving companies that can help you plan your international move and relocate your entire family.
Expatriate health insurance
Expatriate health insurance
Apply online for free quotes on repatriation assistance and expatriate and foreign health insurance.
Find accommodation
Find accommodation
Uniplaces is an online marketplace for booking mid-long term accommodation with thousands of verified properties.
You will get discount hotel rates, last-minute deals, hot deals, special offers, with a real-time reservation and on-line booking.

Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.

You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.

The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.

For other discussions, advice, question, point of view, get together, etc...: please use the forum.