Expat FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Home > Expat FAQ > Departure

How long does it take for a non-EU to aquire a work visa in UK?

There are several ways for a non-European Union citizen to obtain work clearance:
  • If you enter the UK on a fiance visa, you can adjust upgrade your status to spouse (and thus gain work clearance) once you're married.
  • If you enter on a spousal visa, you'll have immediate work clearance.
  • Otherwise, you'll need to be sponsored by a UK company for a work permit, a process that could take several months or more, depending on your circumstances.

  •  [31-01-2005]

    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

    Recommended Service Partners

    International Movers
    International Movers
    Compare up to 5 quotes from our network of moving companies that can help you plan your international move and relocate your entire family.
    Expatriate health insurance
    Expatriate health insurance
    Apply online for free quotes on repatriation assistance and expatriate and foreign health insurance.
    Find accommodation
    Find accommodation
    Uniplaces is an online marketplace for booking mid-long term accommodation with thousands of verified properties.
    You will get discount hotel rates, last-minute deals, hot deals, special offers, with a real-time reservation and on-line booking.

    Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.

    You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.

    The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.

    For other discussions, advice, question, point of view, get together, etc...: please use the forum.

    Stay connected

    - My Life Abroad -
    A selection of expat stories

    "A fun compulsive read!"
    J. Matcham, Amazon

    "I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
    Patrice, Amazon