Expat FAQ

Do you have a general question on expatriation? FAQs give you answers to the most frequent questions: Departure.

What are the living arrangments for Spousal Visa in America?

In general, you simply need to show compliance with the Housing Act of 1985 (as amended in 1996):

The accommodation for a couple (or for fiancé(es) after they are married) complies with the following requirements:
  • it is (or will be) owned or legally occupied for the exclusive use of the couple (see definition in section below);
  • and it is capable of accommodating the couple, and any children, without overcrowding as defined in the Housing Act 1985.

  • Depending on the circumstances of the case, there may be other relevant factors; for example you should be satisfied that housing the couple in rented accommodation will not be in breach of any tenancy agreement as regards sub-letting. The onus is on the applicant to provide confirmation that there is no objection to an additional resident moving into the accommodation.

    But these are not generally show-stoppers for a strong application.

    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Addthis

    Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.

    You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.

    The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.

    For other discussions, advice, question, point of view, get together, etc...: please use the forum.

    - My Life Abroad -
    A selection of expat stories

    "A fun compulsive read!"
    J. Matcham, Amazon

    "I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
    Patrice, Amazon