Expat FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Home > Expat FAQ > Departure

What is a UK Marriage Visa?

This visa is for people who are married or in a civil partnership with a UK citizen or permanent resident. UK citizens and permanent residents are able to sponsor their spouses or partners for a marriage visa. Dependent children can also be included on Marriage Visa applications.

Marriage Visa Requirements

  • The sponsor and the applicant must be legally married or in a civil partnership
  • They must have met each other
  • They must intend to live together
  • The applicant must be able to support him / herself, or be supported by their partner, without access to public funds
  • There must be adequate accommodation in place
  • Once the visa is obtained, (if the marriage is less than 4 years old) there will be given a 2 year visa to live and work in the UK or or (if Applicants who have been married and lived together for 4 years or more) they may be granted Indefinite Leave to Remain.


    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

    Recommended Service Partners

    International Movers
    International Movers
    Compare up to 5 quotes from our network of moving companies that can help you plan your international move and relocate your entire family.
    Expatriate health insurance
    Expatriate health insurance
    Apply online for free quotes on repatriation assistance and expatriate and foreign health insurance.
    Find accommodation
    Find accommodation
    Uniplaces is an online marketplace for booking mid-long term accommodation with thousands of verified properties.
    You will get discount hotel rates, last-minute deals, hot deals, special offers, with a real-time reservation and on-line booking.

    Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.

    You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.

    The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.

    For other discussions, advice, question, point of view, get together, etc...: please use the forum.

    Stay connected

    - My Life Abroad -
    A selection of expat stories

    "A fun compulsive read!"
    J. Matcham, Amazon

    "I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
    Patrice, Amazon