Expat FAQ

Do you have a general question on expatriation? FAQs give you answers to the most frequent questions: Departure.

What is an EEA1 for the UK Home Office?

EEA1- Registration Certificate (EEA or Swiss nationals and their EEA or Swiss family members)

The registration certificate is a document that confirms a right of residence under European law. You do not need to have a registration certificate to enter, live in or work in the UK.

If you are a national of Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia or Slovenia, you cannot apply for a registration certificate until you have completed 12 months's continuous employment in the UK.

Necessary documents must be originals. Any documents which are not in English must be accompanied by a reliable English translation.

    Applications must include:
  • Valid identity card or passport issued by a country in the EEA or Switzerland
  • Two identical passport-size photographs of yourself with your full name written on the back of each one. If a family member is applying with you, they must also include two identical passport-size photographs
  • If section 3 (employment) has been completed, contract(s) of employment, letter(s) from your employer(s) confirming
  • your employment or your most recent wage slips should be provided. These should feature a full national insurance number rather than a temporary one.
  • If section 4 (self-employment) has been completed, evidence must be produced, such as a lease on business premises, Construction Industry Scheme card, Inland Revenue self-assessment forms, bank statements, invoices or national Insurance contributions.
  • If section 5 (students) has been completed, a school, college or university letter confirming enrollment on a course of study and giving the completion date of the course; evidence of Comprehensive Sickness Insurance and evidence of funds available to you such as a bank statement or a document confirming the receipt of a grant or scholarship
  • If section 6 (economically self-sufficient, retired or incapacitated) has been completed, evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance and of funds to show you are economically self-sufficient, eg a bank statement.

If the application is accepted, a certificate will be issued. The certificate is good for 5 years.

EEA1 Application


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Addthis

Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.

You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.

The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.

For other discussions, advice, question, point of view, get together, etc...: please use the forum.