Expat FAQ

Do you have a general question on expatriation? FAQs give you answers to the most frequent questions: Departure.

Canada: How do I obtain a temporary residence visa?

If you do not hold a passport for a visa-exempt country, you need to obtain a visa to visit Canada for any length of time. You will also need a visa if you are a resident of a visa-exempt country and plan to stay in Canada for an extended period. You must apply for a temporary resident visa from outside of Canada. Once you are in Canada, you may apply to extend your stay; however, you must submit your application at least 30 days in advance of the expiration date of your visa.

In some instances, you must present proof of health insurance or provide a letter of introduction from someone inside Canada along with your temporary visa application. You may also be required to undergo a medical examination, present proof of employment or offer of employment, provide a copy of your planned itinerary for your visit or conduct an interview with a visa processing officer to qualify for a temporary resident visa. In all cases, you will need to present the following documents. Allow sufficient lead time for processing; lead times vary according to your country of citizenship and other factors.

Necessary Documents for a Temporary Residence Visa Application:

  • Valid Passport or Other Travel Document
  • Two (2) Color Headshot Photographs
  • Proof of Sufficient Financial Resources for the Entire Duration of Your Visit
  • Non-Refundable Application Fee (Not Applicable for Long-Term Visitors from Visa-Exempt Regions)


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Addthis

Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.

You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.

The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.

For other discussions, advice, question, point of view, get together, etc...: please use the forum.