Expat FAQ

Do you have a general question on expatriation? FAQs give you answers to the most frequent questions: At Work.

What happens if I keep an IRA in the US while living somewhere else

You'll have to look at the tax treaties between the US and whatever country you're in to see how they deal with income from IRAs held in the US.

In the UK, the US income from the IRA will be taxed in the US and you'll get a tax credit for that income in the UK so that you won't have to pay tax on it again (and of course any income you get in the UK will get a tax credit in the US up to 70K USD/year).

It is therefore possible to keep a US IRA in the US, while living and working in UK.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Addthis

Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.

You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.

The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.

For other discussions, advice, question, point of view, get together, etc...: please use the forum.

- My Life Abroad -
A selection of expat stories

"A fun compulsive read!"
J. Matcham, Amazon

"I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
Patrice, Amazon