Expat FAQ

Do you have a general question on expatriation? FAQs give you answers to the most frequent questions: At Work.

US citizens: Do I still need to fill a tax form if I become a British Citizen?

Filing a US return is not a choice for US citizens or Greencard holders, rather it is a requirement in accordance with the legislations regardless of where in the world they live, how long they live there for, or whether or not they obtain the passport of that country.
There are even rules for those individuals who give up their US nationality or Greencard which requires them to file a return after doing so (expatriation rules).

So, the answer is: there is no benefit to filing a US tax return, but you don't have a choice in the matter as long as you are still a US citizen as well.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Addthis

Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.

You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.

The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.

For other discussions, advice, question, point of view, get together, etc...: please use the forum.

- My Life Abroad -
A selection of expat stories

"A fun compulsive read!"
J. Matcham, Amazon

"I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
Patrice, Amazon