Expat FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Home > Expat FAQ > At Work

US citizens: I've married a UK citizen in UK, how do I fill my US Tax form?

You need to file a Married Filing Separate return. MFS filers cannot file a 1040EZ but can file 1040A instead. You will not have to include your partner's income, and deductions in your return.

You can file this form once you move to the UK as well (unless of course you start working in which case you have to file a 1040 (with the relevant schedules) and forms 2555 and 1116).

However the good news is that the income your will earn in UK is subject to the foreign earned income exclusion (calculated on form 2555) and also you can claim a credit on your US return for any UK taxes paid (calculated on form 1116). This way you will avoid paying tax twice on the same income.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers
International Movers
Compare up to 5 quotes from our network of moving companies that can help you plan your international move and relocate your entire family.
Expatriate health insurance
Expatriate health insurance
Apply online for free quotes on repatriation assistance and expatriate and foreign health insurance.
Find accommodation
Find accommodation
Uniplaces is an online marketplace for booking mid-long term accommodation with thousands of verified properties.
You will get discount hotel rates, last-minute deals, hot deals, special offers, with a real-time reservation and on-line booking.

Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.

You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.

The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.

For other discussions, advice, question, point of view, get together, etc...: please use the forum.