Expat FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Home > Expat FAQ > At Work

US citizens: Who must complete a US Tax Return?

The question should in fact be: Who must NOT fill in a US Tax Retun? as a US citizen must fill a tax form.

There are some instances when you may not be required to complete a federal income tax return. But more than 70% of those who fill in are due a refund, so it may be to your advantage to fill even if you are not required to.

The law does require you to complete a tax return if your income is above a certain level. Check the instructions for Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ (under "filing requirements") for specific details that may affect your need to file a tax return with IRS this year (http://www.irs.gov/).

In general, once you have the following gross income amounts, the law requires you to fill a federal tax return with the IRS:
  • Single 7,800 USD
  • Head of Household 10,050 USD
  • Married Filing Jointly 15,600 USD
  • Married Filling in Separately 3,050 USD
  • Generally, a person who is self-employed must file a tax return if his or her net earnings from self-employment for the year exceed 400 USD.

  • Even individuals who don't earn enough to be required to fill in a tax return may be eligible for an earned income credit up to 2,547 USD for a taxpayer with one qualifying child and 4,204 USD for a taxpayer with two or more qualifying children. Some individuals who do not have a qualifying child may be eligible for a credit of up to $382. However, you must fill in a return to receive the Earned Income Tax Credit. You must also fill in a return if you received any advance payments of this credit while you worked during the year.

    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

    Recommended Service Partners

    International Movers
    International Movers
    Compare up to 5 quotes from our network of moving companies that can help you plan your international move and relocate your entire family.
    Expatriate health insurance
    Expatriate health insurance
    Apply online for free quotes on repatriation assistance and expatriate and foreign health insurance.
    Find accommodation
    Find accommodation
    Uniplaces is an online marketplace for booking mid-long term accommodation with thousands of verified properties.
    You will get discount hotel rates, last-minute deals, hot deals, special offers, with a real-time reservation and on-line booking.

    Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.

    You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.

    The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.

    For other discussions, advice, question, point of view, get together, etc...: please use the forum.