Forum Immigration UK



Community of expats Immigration UK: share your experience on expatriation, get local information.
  Register  -  Login  - FAQ
  Advanced search  - Search the whole website
 User's Charter
Language:
 
 

 READ THIS! About National Insurance Number questions (UK)

Forum General British immigration issues, visa, citizenship, EEA forms, marriage and dual nationality discussions.: General British immigration issues, visa, citizenship, EEA forms, marriage and dual nationality discussions.

READ THIS! About National Insurance Number questions (UK)

Postby polskasweetie » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:53 pm

This topic hasn't been mentioned in awhile, until a post regarding proof of employment came up in another thread. Let me share with you what I found out regarding how and when you can apply for a National Insurance Number. Information here is from actual information researched primarily and later verified with a phone call to the National Insurance Office. Read on...

I'm a non-EU citizen, arriving here form the USA last mid July 2005. After about 3 weeks (coz that's the only time I was able to finalize whether I can work or not - this is actually another sticky here), I started seeking employment. I registered with a local recruitment agency, then registered at Reed (online), some other websites, and sent some employment applications via company websites and email.

Later on I would get email responses, or actual mail from the companies, saying the usual "Thank you for your recent application to our company...We regret to inform you that your application was not successful at this time...blah blah blah", you know the rest.

It was by accident that another agency I registered with, suggested to me through an email sometime in early August, that I try to get in touch with National Insurance to get a "temporary number". I have not heard of a temp number being issued by the office, but nevertheless, took it upon myself to read online and later on, verify it as they say, "straight from the horse's mouth".

I made the phone call and the information relayed to me was surprising. Prior to this call, all the while I thought one has to be recently employed to even be considered for the number. Boy was I wrong! The National Insurance Number can be applied for if you are:
1) recently been employed, or
2) actively seeking employment

If you're recently employed then, you don't have a problem. All you need to do is call the National Insurance Office and state you want to apply for the number. They will ask you a bunch of questions, mostly demographics, and will tell you to bring with you a letter from your employer stating your employment details. Your HR Manager would know what to write in the letter.

Now, if you are actively seeking employment, here's what you need to do. If you registered with recruitment agencies, go back to them and ask for a letter stating that you registered with them. If you applied by mail to companies and they send you the "regret letter", keep this. If you appied for work online and received the "regret letter" online, print it. Gather at leaast 2 recruitment agency letters, or 2 mailed "regret letters", or at least 4 emailed "regret letters"or a combination of them. It goes without saying that these documentation should be from different companies or recruitment agencies.

Once you have these, and your passport(if non-EU, specially) or National Identity Card (EU citizens) make that phone call for your appointment to the National Insurance Office (which is actually a JobCentre office), where you will be interviewed. The employee there will be filling out the application form on your behalf and will ask you to sign to confirm the information written is correct. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK WHAT THE EMPLOYEE WROTE BEFORE SIGNING! I checked mine and found my street name and first name were misspelled. Once you check and everything is okay, sign the form, and they will give you one page of it, kinda like a receipt. That form they give you, keep it. You can show that to a prospective employer as proof that you applied for the number, but NEVER give it out to anyone. That is YOUR property.

Now, after a few days I received a letter in the mail from the National Insurance office, it was actually my number already, although in letter format. No card yet. The card will come after about 4 -6 weeks after you receive that letter, but the number stated in that letter is your actual National Insurance Number already. Be careful with it, and don't readily give it out to anyone except to your employer, prospective employer, or recruitment agency (should they ask for it).

As for me, I'm still waiting for my card, but I already got the letter. Hope this information helps some of you out there. And as one moderator put it, having a National Insurance Number is one sure way for employers to prove your employability in the UK. So, especially for the non-EU citizens like me, you now have your passport with the EEA Family Permit as proof #1 that you can work, and then when you get your NIN, that's proof #2.

Good luck!
User avatar
polskasweetie
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:42 pm
City: London
Nationality: Philippines (ph)
Gender: Male
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: English, Tagalog, bit of Polish

Postby vortex » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:46 pm

Hey,

Your piece relates primarily to the Non-eu spouse. How exactly does the EU member go about getting the NIN?

Thanx, bye.

vortex
Backpacker
Backpacker
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:32 pm
Gender: None specified

Postby polskasweetie » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:04 pm

vortex wrote:Hey,

Your piece relates primarily to the Non-eu spouse. How exactly does the EU member go about getting the NIN?

Thanx, bye.


If you read closely in the post, the requirements are the same for EU and non-EU. The only difference is in the documents you need to present. EU citizens can present either their passports or National Identity Card, and for non-EU, only the passports, as some non-EU countries do not have a National ID. This can be supplemented with any other nationally accepted ID from the originating country, to support your passport.
User avatar
polskasweetie
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:42 pm
City: London
Nationality: Philippines (ph)
Gender: Male
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: English, Tagalog, bit of Polish

Postby polskasweetie » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:25 pm

Just to update the people reading this post, yes I did get my card already, and if memory serves me right, I got it around late Spetember. As long as you have submitted whatever documents are required, then there's no setbacks to be expected.
User avatar
polskasweetie
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:42 pm
City: London
Nationality: Philippines (ph)
Gender: Male
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: English, Tagalog, bit of Polish

Postby humbry » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:15 pm

Do you think there is a way of getting the number without having residence papers yet? I currently live in Switzerland but want to look for jobs and eventually accept one. However until I have found this job I prefer to live in switzerland and earn money... just flying to london for interviews etc.

Do you think If I give them a post Office box or a friends address I could get the number?

thanks!

humbry
Backpacker
Backpacker
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:58 am
Gender: None specified

Postby polskasweetie » Sat May 20, 2006 6:25 am

humbry wrote:Do you think there is a way of getting the number without having residence papers yet? I currently live in Switzerland but want to look for jobs and eventually accept one. However until I have found this job I prefer to live in switzerland and earn money... just flying to london for interviews etc.

Do you think If I give them a post Office box or a friends address I could get the number?

thanks!


Apologies for the late reply. PO boxes are not acceptable at al, as anybody can get a PO box and does not really prove where you live. Also, you can give a friend's address, but the supporting document with the friend's address should have your name in it, e.g. a utility bill or bank / credit card statement. If you cannot produce such a document (of which I had a hard time doing so), you will not get a NIN. Alternatively, you can have your friend write a letter saying you are staying in his place and that it is your current residence. You will still have to show some mail ariving in that address with your name in it.

These documents also need to be presented by you IN PERSON at the office.

I hope these answer your queries.
User avatar
polskasweetie
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:42 pm
City: London
Nationality: Philippines (ph)
Gender: Male
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: English, Tagalog, bit of Polish

Postby Cornish Pixie » Wed May 31, 2006 10:19 pm

Umm, I am also a non-EU citizen and would like to return to the UK (I was there from '93 to '95). Am I to understand that you do not have a UK spouse? I would think that you would have to provide proof that you have a legal right to work in the UK before you can apply for a NIN. At least that was what I was told. I have also been led to believe that the laws on looking for work without permission to do so have tightened considerably since I left in '95.

What gives?

Cornish Pixie
Backpacker
Backpacker
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:10 pm
City: Los Angeles, California
Gender: None specified

Re: READ THIS! About National Insurance Number questions (UK

Postby jurgita » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:56 pm

hi,
now I am in london, but not working, just looking fot it applying on-line,registering CV in the employment and Recruitment agencies in the internet, wolking and droping CV at the shops... there I am first time and of course I don't have NIN...actually I dont know what I want, because my english is no so good that I was trying to go to try to work to offices(in my country I have a degree)... everywhere they asking NIN, referees wich I dont have and exelant english language spoken and written both.
when I am applying online, they send back just "thank yuo for applying online......" do I need print this? I am thinking to get an NIN, because seeking for a job is unsuccessful meantime!
I found "http://www.quickstartuk.com". can I trust them? possibily, they can send me just the tel numbers or to go for interview to National Insurance Office...
but I found that they can help with bank account... because I dont have bills, anything, whats improve whereI live, they can do it, withuot it...it is posible?
I am asking opinion, thanks. or maybe yuo know something about it?(sorry for mistakes)

jurgita
Backpacker
Backpacker
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:52 am
City: uk
Gender: None specified

Postby pacy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:11 am

for jurgita

for bank account its allways better to have it when u appling for job.
I been in similar situation and i opened bank account this way:
I came to barclay and said that I just came to uk( dont say more then 2weeks) and I am planig to stay and work so I wnat to open account. as proff of addres i shoved them my homecountry ID and passport (thats what they accepted for people who just come) its better if u apply in "rich"area .

if this wont work for you then u can do it the same day if u try 1st Contact company , you give them 30 pound and they give u letter for bank which bank fully accept .

also if they asking about NIN from jobcentre they give me letter to employer that he doesnt need my NIN until i sart work and then I will apply.
so just tell them that you will have it once u get the job in short time as you cant really apply for it without job(and because u cant be registered jobseeker )



good luck

pacy
Backpacker
Backpacker
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:27 am
Gender: None specified

Postby jurgita » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:23 am

to pacy

thank yuo wery much:)
one more question, what is homecounty ID? I have pasposrt, I have student card.. in my pasport jus is county name there is no full adress where I lived

jurgita
Backpacker
Backpacker
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:52 am
City: uk
Gender: None specified

Postby pacy » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:45 am

homecountry ID is identification card of your country, am sure you have one which you using in your country as proof of your name ( ID is issued to you when you are 15 , and its your permanent addres on it where you living in your country ...you know now what I mean ?)
anyway if you did leave it at home maybe you have your driving licence from your contry ( its just need to be soemthing official with you addres in your country )
if you dont have then i suggest just try that companies for little fee you would be abble to open stright away (1 st contact , or others its lot of them )
good luck :wink:

pacy
Backpacker
Backpacker
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:27 am
Gender: None specified

Postby jurgita » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:06 pm

to pacy

thanks ;)

jurgita
Backpacker
Backpacker
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:52 am
City: uk
Gender: None specified

Postby seraphina » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:35 am

I have read this topic a few times, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out a little bit.

I arrived in the UK on Sat., and this is on a permenant basis, I am ordinarily resident. I arrived with my settlement visa stamped and approved. I had appointments for an optician and a surgery made for today, the monday after I had gotten back. I went to my optician this morning, and was told that I needed a National Insurance Number to receive care. The only reason I got my care free today, is because I'm a diabetic. I was wondering if there was a way that I could obtain a temporary number even though I do not have such proof as someone who is actively seeking employment, even though I am. I'm looking for work, but have yet to find anything suitable to my needs. I have yet to register anywhere, but I have been looking.

I should be entitled to NHS treatment, even though I only just arrived here.

Should I be ok with healt care till I do receive a NIN? I have my Visa in my passport, I also have the marriage certificate, proving that I am here to settle, I personally am just severely worried.

Thanks for any advice/help.

seraphina
Silver Member
Silver Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:40 am
Nationality: United States (us)
Gender: Female
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: English

Postby Ankith » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:48 am

help me if u can about my NI number as i am 16 and dont know how to get it...and because of my visa which is HSMP please help....! :(

Ankith
Backpacker
Backpacker
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:41 am
City: LONDON
Gender: None specified

Postby hayrullah » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:56 am

HELLO.I HAVE BEEN READING YOUR PAGE FOR A LONG TIME.SINCE I WAS IN TURKEY.I M TURKISH,MY WIFE POLISH ALSO BAY HAVE BOTH PASSPORTS.WE CAME TO LONDON 15 OF MARC 2008 ON BASE OF FAMILY PERMIT ON MY PASSPORT.WE RENT HOUSE.OPEN BANK ACCOUNT,TAKE NINO FOR ME AND BILLS.OUR PROBLEM IS:
MY POLISH WIFE IS NOT WORKING BCS SHE TAKE CARE ON BABY;AND WE WANT TO APPLY FOR EEA1 AND 2 TOGETHER.WE MAKE HER SELF SUFFICIENT AND MY JOB WILL BE SPONSOR.QUESTION 1
DO WE NEED TO SEND EEA 1 TO LIVERPOL AND EEA2 TO CRYDON
BCS THAY SAY IDF SHE APPLY IN LIVERPOL FACE TO FACE SHE GET IN SAME DAY.OR DO WE NEED TO SEND FORM TOGETHER.

hayrullah
Backpacker
Backpacker
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:37 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Read This! About National Insurance Number Questions (uk)

Postby anbetophillip » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi

i found that a jenny asked same question in this forum 1 month ago.

Please use search box at the top of site to find this question.

We also find more at: insurance interview questions
rgs

anbetophillip
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:46 pm
Nationality: United States (us)
Gender: Male
Living in: Usa
Languages: English

Re: READ THIS! About National Insurance Number questions (UK)

Postby joneeboy74 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:29 am

Update.
Having a UK National Insurance Number is certainly NOT proof that a holder is allowed to work in this country.
People posting on this and other matters here should make make their own status clear.ie. if they are UK/EU/EAA , or NON UK/EU/EAA, because when they don't it is confusing to others, and is often giving the impression that certain rules apply to ALL persons trying to live or work in the UK when they don't, or that that their personal experiences apply you ALL.
It is impossible for one person to give correct advice to another unless both know the status of the other person. A procedure that is quite complicated for one, may be very simple for another. One thing is for certain, and that is the new UK Conservative/Lib-Dem coalition Government intends to make it as difficult as possible for ANYONE to move to the UK, or for ANY non-citizen to work in the UK unless desperately needed. Don't think that existing EU law will stop them either.It did not before, and if they feel it necessary they will opt out of any EU legislation they don't like. They are already committed to holding a referendum in the UK before accepting any more EU legislation. In fact, if Conservatives get a future overall majority, they are quite likely to hold a referendum on UK membership of the EU. According to recent polls, most UK citizens are anti-EU, and especially anti-immigration, and it was these that were decisive factors in the last UK General Election results. Temporary immigration quotas are already in place and will soon be made smaller,and permanent. Anyone found to have illegal employees can now face severe penalties, and the number of deportations is growing daily.
It would therefore be best for all to make the appropriate applications to regularise their positions as soon as possible while there is still time, and take no notice of those on this forum who are recommending sources of BOGUS documents.

joneeboy74
Backpacker
Backpacker
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:23 pm
Nationality: Ireland (ie)
Gender: Male
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: english,french

Re: READ THIS! About National Insurance Number questions (UK)

Postby FannyElisa » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:10 am

Hi, I am about to move to the UK from Italy to continue my training as a child psychotherapist and I am trying to figure out how to get started with the NIN issue. I don't have a job in the UK, since I'm starting a Continuing Professional Development programme which includes a voluntary placement (I applied for a bursary for CPD abroad in Italy and that's how I'm going to support myself financially at the beginning). However, I would like to start looking for part time jobs in the next months (likely baby sitting, after school clubs, etc) and therefore I would prefer to start the NIN procedure as soon as possible. Also, I want the NIN in order to have a GP. I don't have any proof of active job seeking at the moment. I read, on the HMRC website, that UK citizens can choose to pay voluntary contributions to the State and thus self-finance their NI. Does anyone now whether EU citizens have the same possibility (paying a contribution even though they don't have a job/while waiting to be employed)? I am planning to settle in the UK and after one year of CPD I will hopefully get onto a NHS funded training programme... but before that I'm not going to look for a full time job, which means that I am not in the "jobseekers" category according to the HMRC... I'm not sure whether my situation can be considered for NIN application... Anyone with similar experiences? Thanks a lot!!

FannyElisa
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:36 am
Nationality: Italy (it)
Gender: Female
Living in: Italy
Languages: english, italiano, français, polski

Re: READ THIS! About National Insurance Number questions (UK)

Postby greenman » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:33 am

polskasweetie wrote:This topic hasn't been mentioned in awhile, until a post regarding proof of employment came up in another thread. Let me share with you what I found out regarding how and when you can apply for a National Insurance Number. Information here is from actual information researched primarily and later verified with a phone call to the National Insurance Office. Read on...

I'm a non-EU citizen, arriving here form the USA last mid July 2005. After about 3 weeks (coz that's the only time I was able to finalize whether I can work or not - this is actually another sticky here), I started seeking employment. I registered with a local recruitment agency, then registered at Reed (online), some other websites, and sent some employment applications via company websites and email.

Later on I would get email responses, or actual mail from the companies, saying the usual "Thank you for your recent application to our company...We regret to inform you that your application was not successful at this time...blah blah blah", you know the rest.

It was by accident that another agency I registered with, suggested to me through an email sometime in early August, that I try to get in touch with National Insurance to get a "temporary number". I have not heard of a temp number being issued by the office, but nevertheless, took it upon myself to read online and later on, verify it as they say, "straight from the horse's mouth".

I made the phone call and the information relayed to me was surprising. Prior to this call, all the while I thought one has to be recently employed to even be considered for the number. Boy was I wrong! The National Insurance Number can be applied for if you are:
1) recently been employed, or
2) actively seeking employment

If you're recently employed then, you don't have a problem. All you need to do is call the National Insurance Office and state you want to apply for the number. They will ask you a bunch of questions, mostly demographics, and will tell you to bring with you a letter from your employer stating your employment details. Your HR Manager would know what to write in the letter.

Now, if you are actively seeking employment, here's what you need to do. If you registered with recruitment agencies, go back to them and ask for a letter stating that you registered with them. If you applied by mail to companies and they send you the "regret letter", keep this. If you appied for work online and received the "regret letter" online, print it. Gather at leaast 2 recruitment agency letters, or 2 mailed "regret letters", or at least 4 emailed "regret letters"or a combination of them. It goes without saying that these documentation should be from different companies or recruitment agencies.

Once you have these, and your passport(if non-EU, specially) or National Identity Card (EU citizens) make that phone call for your appointment to the National Insurance Office (which is actually a JobCentre office), where you will be interviewed. The employee there will be filling out the application form on your behalf and will ask you to sign to confirm the information written is correct. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK WHAT THE EMPLOYEE WROTE BEFORE SIGNING! I checked mine and found my street name and first name were misspelled. Once you check and everything is okay, sign the form, and they will give you one page of it, kinda like a receipt. That form they give you, keep it. You can show that to a prospective employer as proof that you applied for the number, but NEVER give it out to anyone. That is YOUR property.

Now, after a few days I received a letter in the mail from the National Insurance office, it was actually my number already, although in letter format. No card yet. The card will come after about 4 -6 weeks after you receive that letter, but the number stated in that letter is your actual National Insurance Number already. Be careful with it, and don't readily give it out to anyone except to your employer, prospective employer, or recruitment agency (should they ask for it).

As for me, I'm still waiting for my card, but I already got the letter. Hope this information helps some of you out there. And as one moderator put it, having a National Insurance Number is one sure way for employers to prove your employability in the UK. So, especially for the non-EU citizens like me, you now have your passport with the EEA Family Permit as proof #1 that you can work, and then when you get your NIN, that's proof #2.

Good luck!


Hi, just a quick question, how long does it take for one to have an appointment for the NIN interview booked, and does the whole process from the time of calling for interview appointment to getting the letter for the NIN long?
Thanks

greenman
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:21 am
Nationality: Cameroon (cm)
Gender: Male
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: english, francais

Re: READ THIS! About National Insurance Number questions (UK)

Postby plekkie » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi Hi,

I am moving to the UK in september from Australia (I have a full EU passport) and I'm about to start looking for and applying for jobs for when i get over there. I have been researching the National Insurance Number and I can't find anywhere where it says WHEN to apply..

When can I apply? And can one apply over the net? Or do I have to call them in the UK to set up an interview for when I first enter the UK?

Your help is appreciated,

Thanks!

plekkie
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:46 pm
Nationality: United Kingdom (gb)
Gender: Female
Living in: Australia
Languages: English

Next

Return to Immigration UK

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Recommended service partners Recommended Service Partners

Find flatmates
Find flatmates
Discover all EasyRoommate offers, search for a flatshare, advertise a room: go through the ads and enter your profile.

International Movers
International Movers
Compare up to six quotes from our network of moving companies that can help you plan your international move.

Hotels
Hotels
You will get discount hotel rates, last-minute deals, hot deals, special offers, with a real-time reservation and on-line booking.

Expatriate health insurance
Expatriate health insurance
Apply online for free quotes on repatriation assistance and expatriate and foreign health insurance.

Hostels and budget accommodation
Hostels and budget accommodation
Find a selection of youth, independent and backpacker hostels worldwide on our page.

 
Add this topic to your bookmarks on MyExpat Copyright EasyExpat Ltd © 2014. All rights reserved.

Look for more information with dotExpat network:
Blog Expat  -  EasyExpat Travel  -  Expert Expat  -  Expat News  -  Expat Quotes