Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN EEA Family Permit delayed....MUST READ

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by da14u, Mar 26, 2008.

1. da14u

da14u Member

Hi everyone :) , I found a lot information on this forum about EEA citizens and their rights in EU. I've applied for an EEA family permit from POLAND as a non-eu travelling with my wife whose a POLISH citizen. They actually issue family permits same day by 3 but mine was delayed I guess because of my previous circumstances in UK. I've lived in UK for 5years as student, during my stay I made application to HOME OFFICE for extension and was granted, aslo worked part-time, paid TAX and all, never overstayed my visa nor claimed anything and came back on time. I guess the delay has to do with some additional checks on my NATIONAL INSURANCE, my apllication to HOME OFFICE etc. I read in other posts,they check if I had claimed benefits, tax credits etc. (which is not relevant to my case anywayz). Its been a week now and still waiting dunno how long more but fingers crossed.

I also found something intresting if you wanna have a look, the BIA HOME OFFICE website states something which I might have got wrong or mayb someone can clarify it further,

www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/d ... apter3.pdf?

they state,

Before an Immigration Officer refuses admission to a non-EEA national under Regulation 11(2) because s/he does not produce an EEA family permit, the IO must give the non-EEA national reasonable opportunity to provide by other means proof that he/she is a family member of an EEA national with a right to accompany that national or join him/her in the UK.

What I assume from this statement is that it applies to someone trying to enter UK with an EU national without an EEA permit. Just for information purposes if it is so (correct me if wrong) it seems like to be a flaw in immigration rules where people are mislead by giving wrong information to each other.

OR :eek:

Probably the subject of immigration law is so vast that without a detailed research in required field u can't just seem to get the right thing and keep on guessing what would be right for u.

Anyone out there with same experience as mine:

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    It would be easier to guess things correctly if you would also mention your nationality.

3. da14u

da14u Member

Same as u my friend YOUSFZAI...I am a YOUSUFZAI too... :D

4. thsths

thsths Addicted member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    Deutsch, English
    Yes, if you have been in the UK before, the application is usually forwarded to the Home Office.

This is taken straight from the Directive 2004/38. The European Union has a number of rules that makes your life easier if you lost an important document. For example EU citizens can (under certain circumstances) travel with an expired passport. This is the same idea: if you lost your visa, you are allowed to prove your rights with alternative documents. So this passage is put there quite intentionally.

Using it could be difficult though. Most officers are probably not aware of it, and there is no consensus over what should be consider sufficient proof. People who tried that sometimes ended up in a prison cell or on a return flight. Being right and getting your right are still two different things.

Tom

5. Yousafzai

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    First of all, I would strongly suggest you don't go for the second option. As tom already mentioned, having rights in papers and using them in real are two different things. Also thats rather impossible because the check-in staff at the departure will never let you board so if you are thinking about using this 'right', I will advise you to stop.
    Coming back to the delay in your application for EEA family permit, I am not surprised to know that because it can have more then one reasons, for example the most common reason for such delays is what kind of documents you present to support your application ? Your right to travel to UK with your wife is derived from your relationship with her so the ECO has to be sure this is a genuine relationship and not a marriage of convenience and thats the most difficult part of such applications. Have you mentioned in your application/supporting letter the reasons why do you need to travel to UK ? why can't you stay in Poland or Pakistan ? While your past immigration history is not relevant in theory, in practice it plays an important role and they will definitely check if you have been in breach of your immigration status in the past. Did you present your degree/diploma from your study in UK ? I would also suggest you get something in writing from your university/college to state that you have been studying full time and obviously they would check your NI records too.
    Having said all that, you need to remember that ECOs take decisions on a case to case basis so I just wish you good luck. Don't forget to let us know the outcome of your application so it could be useful for others in the same situation as yours in future.

6. da14u

da14u Member

Thanks for all ur replies, Let me share my experience from the begining itself so people out there with similar situation of mine can have some experience. I met my wife in end 2005 and we got married here in POLAND last december 2007, what happened all through and what paper work was provided for EEA Family permit is as detailed.

When we applied for marriage usually by POLISH law we were given a month's time, no problem, time passed and finally we got married. When I applied for permenant residence they asked for an interview (MARRIAGE OF CONVIENIENCE). Had my interview successfully and got a reply in two weeks from POZNAN IMMIGRATION stating we were successful in our interview and in a month's time I'll get my RESIDENCE CARD.This was a surprise though everything was going swift and fine, probably I would say results of true love. :)

Me and my wife had past work history in UK and we were never involved in any sort of hanky pankyz. We stayed clean and left clean, by the end of 2006 I was qualified as an AEROSPACE ENGINEER and we left UK. We travelled together and returned back to UK in last JULY 2007, this time I was with a VISIT VISA to visit my AUNT'S and further travel to POLAND for marriage as stated above. UK immigration suspected us that our travel was not for VISIT but MARRIAGE purposes, my wife which was not at that time left alone to go and I was taken into lenghty interview. My argument was strong saying that VISITORS CANNOT GET MARRIED ANYWHERE IN UK BY LAW but I guess as TOM and YOUSAFZAI stated, theoratically it meant nothing but practically it was enough for them to refuse me entry to UK plus hardly anyone has won from them, they never gave me chance to appeal and diverted me straight by next flight. They said it was not that I cannot come to UK again but in my next apllication I have to be clear in my intentions plus I clarified if it would affect my next apllication and they said "NO". I left back and my wife came to POLAND and further I guess you people know now that I came to POLAND and got married.....

Now the EEA Family Permit bit, when I applied I did not spare a single document which would turn down my eligibility for travel to UK. I have included my Diploma and letter from college stating I was an excellent student. My NI card/Medical card/License, Interview letter from POZNAN IMMIGRATION (NOT A MARRIAGE OF CONVIENIENCE). Marriage certificate/Residence card. Bank statements overall £2000, House contract, Letter from me stating me and wife travelling together, Birth certificates. Work history/Letters/Payslips. Telephone calls statement (this was the three months gap when I was sent back and my wife was in POLAND) later I applied and came here. Travel tickets/history. Proof we spent time together all the way from 2006-2008 (I guess this is not important), our interview for NOT A MARRIAGE OF CONVIENIENCE
    satisfies/proves that but still in case I gave the evidence. My wifes UK work history/paysilps above all JOB OFFERS for her (She needs to be there by mid April). Reason for travel was that wife has job offers and I lack language capability here in POLAND, also I have good chance of finding work with my work history and qualification. Prior to this I would also state that I had made an application to HOME OFFICE for extending my student visa and was GRANTED, during this process they lost my passport, now HOME OFFICE blames ROYAL MAIL for this and they issue me all relevant letters (to get another passport/vignette with a year visa), also gave it with my application. Well I guess I haven't left anything behind I hope so.

Having said above its quite obvious that it would take time for them to process my application. First: I had applied to HOME OFFICE for extension. Second: My work history/NI checks. Third: Refusal on last entry to UK. They do need time for all these checks. Though my history is clean, no criminal record or benifits or whatsoever, I guess they come up with a good answer. :confused:

7. poland123

poland123 Member

EEA FAMILY PERMIT PLEASE READ ITS VERY URGENT

Hello to all
    i am indian and i am married with polish girl in dec-2007 now still we are in poland and now we want to go Uk so please someone help us which visa we should apply TOURSIT VISA OR EEA FAMILY PERMIT we are very much confused really and even we dont know no exactly what documents should be for this so please if any one know this then help us its very urgent...
    Waiting for someone response
    Thanking you :(

8. da14u

da14u Member

Hi poland123, ur situation with an EU national seems sort of similar to mine, its quite simple and straight..its better for u to apply for an EEA family permit if ur going with ur wife to UK and if she's already there, in this case its the same as well. It depends on case to case situation if ur applying for the first time or ur wifez going to UK for the first time, then they might suspect ur marriage as a marriage of convienience, though its not necessary but alwayz prepare for tough situations.

Just remember to include a comprehensive paper work as I have stated above in mine, I've been dealing with this HOME OFFICE issues for a few times and they have given me a good experience in DO's and DON'T's. Apply online from british embassy poland website and book online appointment. If u do need more help in what sort of papers or documents might be helpful get in touch with me on hotmail same user name, I can give u my phone no: f that'll help u, thanks.

9. poland123

poland123 Member

Hello da14u
    First of all thanx very much for you replying but we are living togetger in her home in polandand we took this marriage in indian not here. so we are going to apply for uk embassy first time. your case id little different because you was there from last 5 years and me and my wife wasn't so its quite little different i think and you know which documents we should need to apply first time and why EEA FAMILY PERMIT we will apply why not TOURIST VISA? i am very much confused in this and how much months or years youh have residense card here in poland? and you are still in poland ? going for appeal or what ? and you met other couple on that day when you was applying what documents they was provided in embassy and they was in differnt case or somthing like your case?

Write me waiting for your answer
    Thanking you

10. da14u

da14u Member

Hi everyone, thought to share good news with u all, I had applied as said on 18th March and was really anxious to know what would happen, they called me on 4th April and informed me that they had received a confirmation the following morning to grant me the EEA Family Permit, got my passport and yes, its something really happy to be about after waiting for nearly three weeks.

As TOM was right in his post, they did refer my application to HOME OFFICE due to my previous status which can also be know from the lady saying to me on the phone (they received confirmation the following morning to grant me the permit), I guess this proves that it was reffered to UK and they got confirmation from them, they also state this on VISA4UK website when considering applications.

Hope all this info helps, thanks to all and happy journey to me.... :D

11. farooq

farooq Member

hi dal4u congrats for getting ur permit i read ur post and was waiting for the uk consulates decision of ur application because me too in a same situation right now with a little difference that i was overstayed in uk and married to a polish in india applied eea family permit in india but was refused on the grounds of marraige of convieneince :eek: which is not true.at present i am in poland trying to apply for eea family permit could u pls tell me what kind of questions they ask and what kind of documents required .i got resident permit here and my wife worked in uk before got wrs and payslips but she is not working for the last one year because she is with me in india and here so finally we want to go uk together.what if i get eea family permit and will go alone and she follows me after two months as she is conceived.

12. poland123

poland123 Member

Hi brother
    Welcome to Poland and i am from india too and i am married with polish girl but i am living here from more then to 1 year and i am going to apply for FAMILY PERMIT in few days so how much i know about documents that i can help you.if you know somthing you can tell me then like this we can help to each other i think from where are you in india ?
    TC :) :)

13. farooq

farooq Member

hi poland123 i am from bombay and u?. where r u living right now in poland.

14. poland123

poland123 Member

HI
    yes i am in poland right now and living with my polish wife. Where are you right now and whats about your application for family permit ?

take care
    bye

15. Yousafzai

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    There is a facility on this forum for sending private messages, I would suggest you guys use that for private messages to each other. It would save time and space for others' relevant postings.

Thanks

16. poland123

poland123 Member

hi
    What you want to do with this all space ?if you need very important this space then i will not write ok...Forum is for everyone i think or may be its just for you, really i dont know....
    Thanx