Forum Immigration UK

Community of expats Immigration UK: share your experience on expatriation, get local information.

Register  -  Login  -  FAQ

Advanced search  - Search the whole website

User's Charter

Language:
Stay connected

Am I able to obtain a British passport?

Forum General British immigration issues, visa, citizenship, EEA forms, marriage and dual nationality discussions.: General British immigration issues, visa, citizenship, EEA forms, marriage and dual nationality discussions.

Am I able to obtain a British passport?

Postby kevington » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:03 pm

My mother was born in Gibraltar in June 1904. Her father was a corporal in the RGA. Her mother was born in Co. Cork, Ireland, then part of the UK. My grandfather died in March 1912 from injuries received while still a serving soldier. His widow and her two daughters (one being my mother) in 1913 migrated to New Zealand where I was born in 1939. So my question is, "Am I a british citizen by double descent?"
Perhaps I should point out that I do not wish to migrate to the UK, however a British passport may facilitate entry and access to the NHS in the unlikely event I should need medical treatment.
Thanks,
Kevington

kevington

City: Whanganui, New Zealand
Nationality: Australia (au)
Living in: Australia
Languages: English

Re: Am I able to obtain a British passport?

Postby Cyrilexpat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:19 pm

I have moved the topic into the UK immigration section although you said clearly:
kevington wrote:I should point out that I do not wish to migrate to the UK/quote]
Regarding citizenship and passport, that is probably the best place to seek advice for.

In order to become a British Oversea Citizen (BTW I doubt it works for NHS benefits :-( ) it seems tricky and information is summarized here:
https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nat ... as-citizen
You may be able to register if you’re stateless and all of these apply:

you were born outside the UK and qualifying territories
one of your parents is a British overseas citizen
you’ve lived in the UK or an overseas territory for 3 years or more

I don't think you can get a British passport (but I might be wrong)
Information on conditions to apply here: https://www.gov.uk/register-british-cit ... -hong-kong
Take a few seconds to upload a :arrow: profile photo: it will be nicer and all your messages will have a much greater visibility 8-)
Cyrilexpat

City: London
Nationality: France (fr)
Living in: United Kingdom
Languages: Français, English, Italiano (un pó)

Re: Am I able to obtain a British passport?

Postby kevington » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks for the help - looks very complex!

kevington

City: Whanganui, New Zealand
Nationality: Australia (au)
Living in: Australia
Languages: English