Forum Immigration UK

Community of expats Immigration UK: share your experience on expatriation, get local information.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

Stay connected

✎ EN Am I able to obtain a British passport?

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by kevington, Oct 9, 2017.

1. kevington

kevington New Member

City:
    Whanganui, New Zealand
    Living In:
    Australia
    Nationality:
    Australian (AU)
    Languages:
    English
    My mother was born in Gibraltar in June 1904. Her father was a corporal in the RGA. Her mother was born in Co. Cork, Ireland, then part of the UK. My grandfather died in March 1912 from injuries received while still a serving soldier. His widow and her two daughters (one being my mother) in 1913 migrated to New Zealand where I was born in 1939. So my question is, "Am I a british citizen by double descent?"
    Perhaps I should point out that I do not wish to migrate to the UK, however a British passport may facilitate entry and access to the NHS in the unlikely event I should need medical treatment.
    Thanks,
    Kevington

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Moderator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    I have moved the topic into the UK immigration section although you said clearly:
    In order to become a British Oversea Citizen (BTW I doubt it works for NHS benefits :( ) it seems tricky and information is summarized here:
    https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nat ... as-citizen
    I don't think you can get a British passport (but I might be wrong)
    Information on conditions to apply here: https://www.gov.uk/register-british-cit ... -hong-kong

3. kevington

kevington New Member

City:
    Whanganui, New Zealand
    Living In:
    Australia
    Nationality:
    Australian (AU)
    Languages:
    English
    Thanks for the help - looks very complex!