Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Disabled UK wife unable to work -- Am I stuck in US?

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by lockhmm, Sep 7, 2009.

1. lockhmm

lockhmm New Member

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read my question.

My wife and I have been married for a little over a year, and she is currently living in the UK undergoing several medical procedures. Because of a lifetime disability, she is unable to work a full time job. She is currently staying with her parents, and we have decided to make our lives together in England instead of the states because of the medical care she receives.

My question is -- because she's unable to work a full time job, and probably not make the "sufficient funds" requirement, am I doomed to live away from her? I'm in the process of looking into getting the spouse visa. I'm a college graduate with a full time job and solid pay. I have been the one making the money for our family while she lived in the US with me -- but now that she's back in the UK, I know my income counts for nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a similar situation?

Thank you for your help -- I've learned a lot reading through these forums.

2. lockhmm

lockhmm New Member

Over 100 views and no responses :(. Maybe someone out there knows something. I'll keep checking back. Thanks again for reading.

3. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Am I stuck

Dear Lockhmm

I do not think you are necessarily stuck in the U.S. While she may not be able to hold a full time job because of her medical condition(s). First thing to ask yourself is did she give up her U.K. citizenship to be married with you? If not, since she is back in the U.K. with her parents undergoing medical treatments, you should be talking with her and her parents.
    Can her parents help both of you by providing a place to stay? If so, in regards to the type of job that you do, can you find a job there in the U.K.? While you are still holding a good paying job in the U.S. can you ship a lot of your furniture over and move into a small 1 bdrm or bachelor apartment to cut your costs as much as possible?
    If you can downsize and save money that can be used to support yourself and assist with the expenses while in the U.K. would help. Because you can apply for a spousal visa to immigrate to the U.K. and then get citizenship. While I know this is not much help to you, but the biggest thing is to talk it out with your spouse in regards to her medical needs, ability for obtaining a job and also involve her parents.
    By involving them shows that you value their input and assistance where and when it is needed. And it does show to them that you are also thinking of their daughters' future in her medical needs and as your wife. Remember for better or worse. While you two are living apart, can her parents help you by keeping tabs on the job market in regards to the kind of job you are doing? If so, that will take a bit of stress off you while you are dealing with saving up money for the intended move and dealing with the paperwork. I hope it works out for you both. Check the U.K. embassy website for nearest one to you or consulate and talk with them about your situation and see what they have to say as well.

Gary