Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Want to apply for durable relationship but passport expiring

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by kinga, Aug 22, 2007.

1. kinga

kinga New Member

Hi,
    my boyfriend and I are planning to apply for durable relationship under EEA2 in a months time. I'm Russian and he is Finnish, but the problem is my pasport along with my visa is expiring in the end of March. So about the same time I would hopefully get my documents and residence permit back, my passport would expire. For me to renew my passport in London it takes about 3 months, so I worry that if i extend my passport first and we get refused there is nothing I can do, not even extend my student visa. On the other hand, I worry that the expiring passport will have negative impact on my application.
    Any advice?

Thanks..
    Kinga

2. thsths

thsths Addicted member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    Deutsch, English
    Re: Want to apply for durable relationship but passport expi

It would all be easy if the Home Office had some reasonable procedure for issuing the EEA permits, but they really messed this up. Complain to your MP, he/she is the person responsible for fixing this.

However, your case should work out fine. If you submit EEA1 and EEA2 together, with some luck the application is processed within 2 months, and not the full 6 months. Also this time is a waiting time, and they do not actually need the passport except at the very end. You can either supply a copy of your passport, or you can ask for it to be sent back while you are waiting.

Now the main question is whether you want the EEA2 sticker in your new passport. It does not really matter, but otherwise you may need to carry both passports with you. So if you want it in the new passport, apply for the new passport now, and then send of the application. If you include your old passport, make sure to ask them to send it back (or just include a copy). Once your application has done the necessary waiting time, the Home Office will ask you to send in your passport. By then you hopefully have the new passport, and you should include a cover letter explaining the situation.