Tax system in Berlin


The tax system in Germany is quite complicated. The revenue gained from tax collection is used for government spending and can be broken down into the areas of welfare (almost 50 percent), existing debts (approx. 15 percent), defense (approx. 9 percent), transport (approx. 9 percent), federal employees (3 percent) and sciences (3 percent).

Anyone living in Germany as an employee and receiving an income has to pay taxes and be registered with the local Tax Office (Finanzamt). You will be issued with a tax number (Steuernummer) which you will need to declare when claiming payment. Individual living conditions are taken into account in calculating taxable income. The taxation criteria are set out on the wage tax card issued by the municipality on the basis of its documentation (e.g. index of residents) for each calendar year.

Individual Tax

Income tax (Einkommensteuer) is any source tax which is due on monies earned whether self-employed or not. Personal or individual taxation varies and increases progressively depending on the employee's salary and status.

    There are six different forms of tax brackets in Germany:
  • Single or separated workers with no children and no recent divorce/separation/widowing
  • Single or separated workers with a child (additional child allowance may also be received)
  • Married workers where only one partner is working (or widowed within the first year of wife's/husband's death)
  • Married employees both in jobs
  • A mixture of the above two (such as married professional couple, one of whom has lost a spouse within the last year)
  • Double income employees (with income received in more than one tax bracket)
The minimum tax rate is 14 percent and the maximum tax is 45 percent. However, single people earning less than 8,004 euro per year are exempt from income tax. Couples earning less than 16,008 euro per year are also exempt. Use this calculator to find out your tax percentage.

Wage tax (Lohnsteuer)

Wage tax is a type of direct income tax which is levied from non-self-employed work. The quantity of wage tax depends on the wage tax bracket the employee is in. Employers are responsible for filling out the wage tax form (Lohnsteuerkarte) and sending it to the respective tax office (Finanzamt).

Salary tax card (Lohnsteuerkarte)

Employees require an income tax card (Lohnsteuerkarte) to work in a German company. This card documents tax payments and insurance contributions over the year and must be sent to the tax office along with completed tax return forms. The card can be obtained from the local registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) and is available for all registered residents.


Value-added tax (Mehrwertsteuer) is usually included in the price. The standard rate is 19 percent, but some items (food and agricultural products) are charged a reduced rate of 7 percent.

Value added tax is imposed on assets and services in Germany as well as on imports into Germany. Overseas exports are exempt from value added tax. There are some special provisions for small businesses.

Church Tax

Also known as Kirchensteuer, there is a 8-9 percent tax if you are officially affiliated with one of Germany's established churches; usually Catholic or Protestant (Evangelisch).


At the end of the year, every taxpayer must submit a tax return to the tax office. The tax year runs from 1 January to 31 December. The deadline for filing a tax return in Germany is always 31 May of the following year. This can be extended until the end of September if a tax advisor is filing the tax return, or on written confirmation from the tax office.

Couples may file tax returns on the same form. Married couples are eligible for deductions in line with their lower progressive tax rates and therefore pay less tax than single persons or married persons filing separate tax return forms.

    There are several exceptions:
  • Students (receiving formal education)
  • Unemployed people receiving social security who have not worked at all during the tax year in question
  • Retired people without any investment income

Tax forms can be obtained from the local tax office (Finanzamt) or can be sent directly to the workplace. Tax returns may also be made online using the electronic filing system, Elster.

The paper version has an attachment "N" (Anlage N). This is used to document all deductions, from receipts to bills, invoices etc. All residents may make deductions totalling up to 2,100 euro, or over this amount, as long as the appropriate invoices and receipts can be presented. Originals of the relevant documentation must be sent along with the tax returns form, Anlage N and the tax card (Lohnsteuerkarte).

After submission, the tax office determines if there is a refund owed, or additional payments should be made. Depending on the time of year and detail of the tax return, the tax office replies within the next few months with a final tax calculation. This is called the Bescheid ueber Einkommensteuer (notification of income tax).

Please note that only tax advisors are qualified to give advice. This section is to give a general overview and provide resources. It is in your best interest to employ an advisor as an expat. To find out more about how to file for a return, consult this thorough description of Elster.

Reciprocal Tax Agreements

Double tax treaties exist that may provide tax relief where a tax resident also pays income tax in another country.

Residents for taxation purposes- Once an employee has resided or worked in Germany for more than six months, they are considered a resident for tax purposes. Other factors obviously include residence permits (depending on the country they come from) or job relevance for the country, for example.
Non-residents for taxation purposes- This is complicated. Non-residents working in the country may also be required to pay tax in Germany. For example, if a freelance contractor is sent to Germany to work for a British company local taxes may also be due, depending on the time spent in the country, the amount earned, the field of work and the nationality of the contractor. For more information on individual cases, it is often best to consult a tax advisor in Germany, or a European tax advisor to provide a clear overview on what earnings can and cannot be taxed.

Many countries have reciprocal agreements with Germany to avoid double taxation. To check if your country has an agreement, go to Double Taxation Agreements.

Update 6/06/2011


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Addthis

Recommended Partners

Keep more of your money when transferring funds overseas!


If you want to move money abroad, from Germany or to Germany for example, Fexco provides efficient and secure global bank to bank transfers and bespoke payment solutions for both business and personal clients.

Why Fexco

Fexco provides a secure international money transfer service online or by telephone with bank beating fx rates and low fees. Specialises in high-value transfers.

Faster, cheaper, safer International money transfers.
Dedicated fx dealer who will oversee your transfer from start to finish
Make payments from anywhere with our secure online platform, PayDirect.
If you prefer the personal touch, then our payments team can be contacted by phone.

Main characteristics

Fexco will help you to keep your overseas money transfer costs to a minimum.

Margin 0.6%
Regulator FCA
Fee £10 < £5K or Free > £5k
Mini £1K
Ccy All (130 currencies, incl ‘exotics’)
Services Repatriation of funds, Property, Regular payments, High Value payments, spot, online, telephone.

Get an online quote today

When you are ready to make your transfer, John and his team will be available to help you with better rates and an unrivalled service to make sure your funds are delivered securely and speedily.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Go to the Forum to talk more about tax system in Berlin, at work.

Download the full digital PDF expat guide in Berlin

Download the guide: Berlin, Germany
  • See in one single booklet all the articles for a city guide for expatriates.
  • Enjoy full colour photos to illustrate each section.
  • Additionnal maps: Region, City view, Neighborhood, Street view.

  • - My Life Abroad -
    A selection of expat stories

    "A fun compulsive read!"
    J. Matcham, Amazon

    "I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
    Patrice, Amazon