Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Polish Citizenship Confirmation [Part3]

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by EasyExpat, Feb 8, 2009.

1. marron

marron Active Member

Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English, Polski
    Vetticus, I only tried to speak to the caseworker to be sure that the case was being processed and nothing else was needed. (After dealing with Charsky I became very mistrustful.)
    I called the Warsaw office (don't have the # but I had found it on this forum) and was able (speaking very bad Polish) to speak with the caseworker and get the case number.
    I don't know how soon it was assigned to a caseworker since I had submitted the stuff to Charsky maybe a year prior, and I only called Warsaw after Charsky's office stopped answering emails.
    Would be useful to others if you would mention the name of the law firm you're dealing with.

2. vetticus

vetticus Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello,
    I called the Warsaw office, and they do not have any of my details on their system, they gave me the number of the office where my mum was born. That office didn't have any details, so they gave me another number to call (the next district over)... and they told me to call Warsaw.
    This is bad....very bad. And the last two offices, they can count the number of files they process on one hand (yay, but the Warsaw office said they have a 3 year backlog! GAH!!). I'm calling my agent in Aus to see wtf is happening.

i was just wondering... is it possible to get my mother's passport renewed from her old number?

3. sister2010

sister2010 Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    I decided to go through a local consulate and guess what? Surprise! I have been informed that I have 30 days to find the address of someone in Poland to receive future correspondence on my case as they government of Poland will no longer permit the use of consulates to deliver correspondence on confirmation of citizenship matters. This rule is apparently retroactive to all cases currently pending. ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS!

4. vetticus

vetticus Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    Just a quick up date... the case is being done in another district, i have the case workers name, and number. they have a few questions about my mother's name changes (we have documents on all of it, but it's a long story. nothing really unexpected). after my mother's case is done, mine will be done in warsaw.
    i think, that dealing with my mother's impatience makes every situation seem worse.
    also, according to the consulate, i could have gotten my mother's passport with only the old number. but this was over the phone, in person they might say something else.

5. nebratu

nebratu Active Member

City:
    Los Angeles
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English

I just wanted to follow up on my last post. Since posting that, we were able to confirm my mother's citizenship towards the end of May, 2011. After confirming my mother and grandfather, we submitted our application in late July and received our confirmation in mid October (took less than 3 months!)

Now it's birth cert registering, then requesting PESEL, then finally the passport application, which I assume I still have to do in person at my local consulate.

6. des

des Member

Living In:
    Kazakhstan
    Nationality:
    Kazakhstani (KZ)
    Languages:
    English
  7. des

des Member

Living In:
    Kazakhstan
    Nationality:
    Kazakhstani (KZ)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi all, just some clarification:

It was said "On 18th January 2012, the Constitutional Tribunal decided that the new Polish citizenship law (the Nationality Law Act of 2 April 2009) does not violate the Constitution. According to the Tribunal, Article 30 of the new nationality law that gives new competences to regional governors (voivods) in the field of naturalisation does not violate the constitutional provision according to which 'the President confers nationality'."

The keyword is "On 18th January 2012".

If the Constitutional Tribunal made the decision so anybody knows what's the procedure to make the new law effective?

8. jgibson

jgibson New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi everyone,

I have been reading through the posts here and I am in the beginning stages of looking into whether or not I would be able to get my Polish Citizenship.

I am 3rd Generation Polish American - on my Mom's side. The linage goes a bit like this: from 1908 - 1913 all of my great-grandparents emigrated through Ellis Island (I have 3 of the records and manifests). It should be noted that the forms from Ellis Island state Polish Citizen but Austria and Rusia as the countries of origin. From there my grandparents were born on my Mom's side in 1915 and 1921 respectively in PA and MA. My Mom was born in 1946 and is 100% Polish, I am 50% Polish as my Dad was a British anglo. I have copies of all of the Birth records up to my great-grandparents which the only records I have there are the Ellis Island Manifests stating their country of origin and Nationality.

Anyway I have reached out to a few of the attorney's mentioned on this site Roman is the only one who has responded but seems a bit unwilling to weigh in on whether or not there is a case for Citizenship without me putting money on the table (which I am willing if there is even a shot of this working out).

Any advice from any of you who have or are going through this with respects to whether I even have a shot to a representative in Poland who could help make the process less painful.

Best,

Jonathan

9. sister2010

sister2010 Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Did any of your direct ancestor's leave Poland after 1918?

10. jgibson

jgibson New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    No not that I am aware - of the three that I have found on the Ellis Island registries they were all before 1918.

11. sister2010

sister2010 Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    This may make your case more difficult than most. You need the advice of a professional in these matters.

According to this website: http://www.cklawoffice.eu/ Their initial opinion is free.

I have never used their services though and I do not endorse them specifically, I just noticed they give a free initial opinion.

12. jgibson

jgibson New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Thanks Much - They seem a lot more together and reputable.

-J

13. Kikinyc

Kikinyc New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Can anyone comment on the implications of the new law mentioned in this forum? I looked at the link but have no idea what it really means. I was wondering if it in any way shortens the time to confirm citizenship.
    I believe I have a straightforward case-- both parents born in "true" Poland, came here in 1959 and 1966. Father served in Polish military, did not serve in US.
    The only document I have though is my fathers original Polish birth certificate and his Polish motorcycle license. Anyone comment on whether I am going to need to dig up other documents in Poland?
    I am definitely going to hire a Polish lawyer-- being a lawyer myself I know it can be a huge time saver to have an expert take care of this. I am contacting the lawyers discussed on this forum but was wondering if anyone has a very current recommendation and can provide specifics as to fees and time estimates they paid. Also how did you get the fee to the attorney. Did you pay in full up front? Wire cash? Do any accept credit cards? Also what type of lawyer are you using-- it appears that Poland has many confusing classes of legal professionals. I am not sure which types have the appropriate credentials to handle these cases (I want to ensure I am working with the correct person directly, as opposed to an expediter who has to hire someone on my behalf). I also want to ensure the legal class is subject to ethical standards and a disciplinary board if they mess my case up.
    Sorry for the multi part question, please feel free to respond to any part!

14. polskiarg

polskiarg Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Argentine (AR)
    Languages:
    English, Español
    The new Law concerns the new powers that the local and regional district government (the voivoda) have with regards to acquisition of Polish citizenship by naturalization. It does not have any impact nor will it make quicker the process of confirmation of Polish Citizenship as this procedure was already under the jurisdiction of the local government for people residing in Poland and under Warsaw Office for people born abroad.

Does his motorcycle license describe him as a Polish citizen? If not you would need another document (e.g. his Polish Passport or even its number). Otherwise I believe you should be fine.

15. BellaVista

BellaVista Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    I have been following this thread for a while now, throughout the confirmation of citizenship process, and have succeeded in obtaining confirmation and a Polish passport. I used attorney Lukasz Piotrowski (http://www.polishcitizenship.org/) and was very satisfied with his work. He kept me well informed, answered all my questions, and was diligent in overcoming obstacles that we faced. I can recommend him highly to this board, as I have to my family.

16. DMOesq

DMOesq Member

:D Great news today. I was just advised that my Polish Citizenship was confirmed!!! It was a long, long road, which included two lawyers and almost 5 years. My basic story is here polish-citizenship-t14177-220.html.

I would like to thank the members of this forum, especially Polskiarg and Alyehoud, who have provided immeasurable knowledge, experience and resources that made my journey much easier. I would also like to thank my lawyer in Poland, Marcin Foryt of Eranium (http://www.eranium.eu), who worked tirelessly to make sure that this day would arrive.

I wish everyone the best of luck in their pursuit and will continue to be a member of this board in order to provide helpful information.

Now, it is off to see how I get my passport!

Don

17. polskiarg

polskiarg Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Argentine (AR)
    Languages:
    English, Español
    Wow! Congratulations! Excellent news! It seemed to me so long ago that I almost forgot what I said! (lol).Now your final steps to get your Passport...Good luck!

18. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Congratulation ! :clap:
    With EasyExpat.com we aim to provide the most useful information but cannot do that without the enormous help of all our members. So, thanks again to all the expat members helping each other on our forums :thumbup:

19. marron

marron Active Member

Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English, Polski
    To jgibson, Poland as a nation came again into existence in 1920 (give or take a year) after a long history of being wiped off the map by other countries. So your ancestors (in terms of documents, which is what matters, and not in terms of ethnicity) who arrived before that time, and their offspring, would likely (this is not a legal opinion) not be Polish. Did any of your ancestors arrive from Pol. after that time?

20. marron

marron Active Member

Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English, Polski
    To Kikinyc, Your father's BC should be fine. As to lawyers, there are several mentioned, this is more an administrative matter than a legal matter, in other words you don't need a brilliant legal eagle, but it's more important to have a lawyer who had the practical experience of dealing with the citizenship office and its employees and knows the requirements. There are a couple of lawyers who have been mentioned, I used Piotrowski and was very happy with him.

Having your bank wire funds to the lawyer is the preferred method. Easier to have the lawyer quite price in USD and have his bank, not yours, exchange it into Polish zlotych. Note that the quote you get may just cover citizenship confirmation (i.e. the paper that says you're Polish) and there will likely be an extra fee for your birth certificate to be registered in Poland and to get a copy of such certificate, which you will then use to obtain your passport.