Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Confirmation of Polish Citizenship- Both Parents Are Polish

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by vailmij, Apr 13, 2010.

1. vailmij

vailmij New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hello,
    my girlfriend (eva)'s parents are both polish and moved to the us in the 1980s. They got married and she was born in the us. Eva plans to move with me to krakow in september 2010, and is hoping to apply for confirmation of polish citizenship so that she can stay as long as i will be there (about 2 years since i am studying at jagiellonian university).

The main issue that comes up is whether she should apply now thru the polish consulate in new york, which apparently could take up to 18 months; or should she wait until she arrives in poland and apply thru a government office there. According to what i have read, americans are allowed to stay in poland for 'travel/business' up to 90 days without a visa, so she would have until december 2010 to receive her citizenship without having to leave.

Does anybody have any recommendations as to how she should go about doing this? Thank you!

2. richasis

richasis Member

Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi...
    While Eva's case looks promising on its face, I do not think 90 days would suffice.
    From others' experiences, this route is wrought with the perils of a visa overstay.
    This would NOT be good! Have you considered the services of a Polish attorney?
    From what I've seen as of late, Confirmation times can be as little as 6-8 months.
    Welcome to the forums and do browse around: it proved to be invaluable for me
    - and yes, I did successfully Confirm my Polish Citizenship. Good Luck! - Rich :cool:
    PS:There are many GREAT contributors to this forum; I'm sure some will chime in.

3. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Addicted member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    vailmij,
    I would recommend that one of your friends, or family members in Poland start the process for Eva there before you leave. You can give your friend a power of attorney to do it.
    The birth certificate will take you about 2 - 4 weeks.
    The Confirmation of Polish Citizenship will take about 2 to 6 months these days in person.
    The PESEL number will be about a week at the consulate
    The Passport will be about 3-4 months at the consulate.
    And then there is your Dowód Osobisty which should be pretty quick, but she can only apply for that once she's re-entered the EU using her Polish Passport.

4. curiousgeorge

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
  5. vailmij

vailmij New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    thank you for the information. From what i understand, it seems more logical to appoint a family member in poland a power of attorney. I found your (curiousgeorge) post outlining the text for a power of attorney. If she was to fill all of that out, what would be the next step? Should she mail everything to the relative? And when everything is received, where does the relative go to apply for her confirmation of polish citizenship?

Thanks again!

6. curiousgeorge

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Yes you will need to send everything, with Apostilles, and translations. I recommend you send the originals to the relative as well. The office will not retain them, but by having the originals, the office can easily look at them, hand the, back, and take the apostilled/translated copies for their records. By letting relative have the originals, the office will believe he/she s legit more easily.

The relative in Poland should be able to find the location very easily.

One tip though, when they go into the office there are 2 sections. The first is for people applying for citizenship which is not Eva's situation. The line is long, tons of people and ruckus, and the waiting period is extreme. A little further down is the section to apply for a POŚWIADCZENIE OBYWATELSTWA. There are very few people here and nobody seems stressed. Your relative should pay attention to this once inside the building.

7. vailmij

vailmij New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    she will be sending out everything within the next couple of weeks. She is having her birth certificate officially translated and she'll receive an Apostille.

The relatives to whom she will be giving power of attorney live in Bialystok; do you know what the office is called that they will need to go to, or is there only one (in Warsaw)?

One last thing I'm a bit worried about is how to complete the power of attorney. If she fills it out and signs it, I'm assuming it needs to be notarized, but does it have to be a special type of notary or signed by an official or something?

Thank you so much for your help.

8. curiousgeorge

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Since Ewa was not born in Poland, the application will need to be submitted to the Warsaw office. If she was born there, then it would need to be submitted to the office where she was last a resident in. (zameldowana)

I had a regular notary do it, who was also a Polish translator. The next level up is a consulate, but they will insist that they write the power of attorney, and they will charge you for it. The consulate one will be rock solid, but I had no issues with the one signed by a US Notary Public/Polish Translator, and it was faster for me to obtain, and cheaper too.

9. curiousgeorge

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    By the way here is the template for my power of attorney. I am sure the consulate will have their own of you take that route.

I tried to keep this as generic as possible to exclude my personal info, and so that you know where to insert your information. Use these variables to fill out your specifics in the document.

VARIABLE1: Today's day verbose (ex: czternastego)
    VARIABLE2: Today's month verbose (ex: grudnia)
    VARIABLE3: Today's year verbose (ex: dwa tysiące siódmego)
    VARIABLE4: The date in polish format (ex: 14.XII.2007r)
    VARIABLE5: Full name of Notary (ex: John Smith)
    VARIABLE6: County
    VARIABLE7: State (ex: Alabama)
    VARIABLE8: Your full name (ex: JAN KOWALSKI)
    VARIABLE9: Your father's first name in possessive form (ex: Tadeusza)
    VARIABLE10: Your mother's first name in possessive form (ex: Jadwigi)
    VARIABLE11: Your mother's maiden name (ex: Misiaszek)
    VARIABLE12: Country from where your current passport is from (ex: USA)
    VARIABLE13: Passport Number (ex. XX999999)
    VARIABLE14: Your full address of residence, including country.
    VARIABLE15: Your birth date in Polish date format (ex: 22.VI.1950)
    VARIABLE16: Your city of birth (ex: Nowy Jork)
    VARIABLE17: Your country of birth (ex: USA)
    VARIABLE18: The full name of the person who your are giving the power of attorney to (ex. John Doe)
    VARIABLE19: The person's Polish national ID number (ie "dowód osobisty") (ex:
    VARIABLE20: The person's PESEL number
    VARIABLE21: The person's full address of residence in Poland
    VARIABLE22: Your signature
    VARIABLE23: The name of the state where you are at the time of signing
    VARIABLE24: The name of the county where you are at the time of signing
    VARIABLE25: The name of the country where you are at the time of signing
    VARIABLE26: Today's day (ex: 14th)
    VARIABLE27: Today's month (ex: December)
    VARIABLE28: Today's year (ex: 2007)
    VARIABLE29: Notary's signature and STAMP

AKT NOTARIALNY

Dnia VARIABLE1 VARIABLE2, VARIABLE3 roku (VARIABLE4) przed notariuszem VARIABLE5 w kancelarii notarialnej w VARIABLE6, VARIABLE7 stawił się:

VARIABLE8

Pan VARIABLE8, syn VARIABLE9 i VARIABLE10 z domu VARIABLE11, legitymujący sie paszportem VARIABLE12 nr. VARIABLE13, na stałe zamieszkały pod adresem VARIABLE14.
    Tożsamość stawiającego się notariusz ustalił na podstawie paszportu VARIABLE12, którego numer wpisano obok nazwiska.

PEŁNOMOCNICTWO

Ja, niżej podpisany VARIABLE8, ur. VARIABLE15 w VARIABLE16, VARIABLE17, ninieszym upoważniam VARIABLE18, legitymujący się dowodem osobistym numer VARIABLE19, PESEL VARIABLE20, zamieszkał przy VARIABLE21 do wszelkich czynności w Urzędach Stanu Cywilnego łącznie ze składaniem wniosków wszelkiego rodzaju oraz do reprezentowania mnie i działania w moim imieniu na terenie Rzeczpospolitej Polski, oraz do reprezentowania mojej osoby oraz moich interesów przed wszelkimi osobami fizycznymi, prawnymi, instytucjami państwowymi, prywatnymi, spółdzielniami jakiegokolwiek rodzaju, biurami notarialnymi, urzędami celnymi, komunikacyjnymi i innymi, przed bankami, instytucjami finansowymi, sądami, ZUS-em, PZU i Pocztą Polską na terenie Rzeczpospolitej Polskioraz do występowania w mojej osoobie łączenie ze składaniem wszelkich oświadczeń, wniosków, dokumentów i podpisów jakie okażą się niezbędne do realizacji ninieszego pełnomocnictwa.

Koszty wynikające z tego aktu ponosi pełnomocnik. Wypisy tego Aktu można wydawać również pełnomocnikowi.

Akt ten został odczytany, przyjęty i podpisany.
    Podpisali: VARIABLE8 i VARIABLE5

VARIABLE22
    VARIABLE8

STAN VARIABLE23
    POWIAT VARIABLE24
    Niniejszym zaświadczam, że powyższe oświadczenie zostało sporządzone dnia VARIABLE1 VARIABLE2 VARIABLE3 roku w VARIABLE24, VARIABLE23, VARIABLE25 i podpisane przez VARIABLE8, którego tożsamość ustaliłem na podstawie paszportu VARIABLE12 nr. VARIABLE13.

STATE OF VARIABLE23
    COUNTY OF VARIABLE24
    The forgoing instrument was acknowledged before me this VARIABLE26 day of VARIABLE27, VARIABLE28, by VARIABLE8.

__Personally known OR _X_Produced Identification
    Type of identifiacation producted VARIABLE12 nr. VARIABLE13

VARIABLE29

10. maryiska

maryiska New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    polish, english
    Hello,
    i saw some good answers from curious george and the forum on by rajiv khanna. I hope you all can help me.
    I am trying to understand the process of confirmation of polish citizenship.
    My father has his confirmation of citizenship and is a current passport holder (and votes in elections abroad). He has been married and divorced in america. Part of the paperwork requires that i show their marriage certificate. Is this necessary if my mother does not hold a polish passport (she is an american citizen)? Must i also show their divorce papers? And does this mean that all of this has to be registered under the foreign marriage certificate in poland?
    My father is going to poland next month and will file the necessary paperwork in warsaw to make to process go quicker.
    First, do i need to register my foreign birth certificate in warsaw? Or must i apply for confirmation of citizenship before this step? (i understand my birth certificate needs an apostille and certified translation from the embarrass - which i'm doing now).

Where is the office in warsaw that i may submit confirmation of polish citizen papers?

Thanks for your help.

11. curiousgeorge

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Your parent's marriage certificate is secondary. I doubt they want to see the marriage certificate for your father is he is divorced from your Polish mother, or if your mother was never a Polish citizen. I believe the only reason they might need to see this is to help reinforce your claim that these are your parents. Some people's genetic parent's were never married, so this document does not even exist.

You can apply for the confirmation of citizenship without a Polish registration of birth however, you will need the Polish registration of birth once you try to apply for a Polish passport.

The theory is that if you register your birth BEFORE filing for confirmation of citizenship, the whole process should go a little smoother, since the Polish registration of birth clearly shows your relationship to your Polish parents and t should be a slam dunk case.

Registration of birth only takes a week or 2, waiting to register before or during the confirmation of citizenship would not save you much time.

The phone book should have the address to the office, but try this:
    http://www.mazowieckie.pl/wydzialy/wydz ... emcow.html
    Wydział Spraw Cudzoziemców
    ul. Długa 5, 00-263 Warszawa
    Kontakt: Sekretariat Wydziału Spraw Cudzoziemców – pokój nr 38
    tel. (22) 695 65 75
    fax. (22) 695 66 03

Remember to go into the right room....Go into the room that does this:
    prowadzenie postępowań w sprawach stwierdzenia posiadania obywatelstwa polskiego,

NOT the room that does this:
    prowadzenie postępowań w sprawie nabycia obywatelstwa polskiego

12. sister2010

sister2010 Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Can anyone recommend a lawyer for the process of confirmation of polish citizenship?

Thank you,
    Alice