Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN EEA: Comprehensive Sickness Insurance Cover

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by thsths, Mar 18, 2008.

1. thsths

thsths Addicted member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    Deutsch, English
    No, you are not, and they are just being difficult. Anyway, send them your NHS cards, and they should be happy. The NHS provides comprehensive sickness insurance.

Tom

2. amoros

amoros Member

Tom, Thanks for your reply.

I have already included my NHS card as well as the one of my wife and children in my original application.

My guess is that as my wife has applied as a "self-sufficient" person, maybe, she should not take advantage of the NHS (correct me if I’m wrong).

I will try to provide them with my wife and Children Insurance card from their country of origin and see if it will help.

As stated before, I have an NI number and part of my salary goes to my NI. So, I though that I have the right to the NHS.

I still do not understand why are there asking for a comprehensive health insurance coverage. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

3. thsths

thsths Addicted member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    Deutsch, English
    That is possible, although according to my understanding the NHS also covers self-sufficient persons.

Yes, you certainly do, and so does your family. Did you include any documentation about your job? That would certainly help (although again it should not be necessary).

Sometimes they just send you the wrong form letter. Like asking for a passport, when they already have it. So I would try not to read too much into it.

Tom

4. amoros

amoros Member

Hello again Tom.

In my original application, I have included:
    -my employment contract
    -my employment offer letter
    -my very first payslip

So, they have all information regarding my employment.

Thanks for the support.

5. amoros

amoros Member

I would like to thank you all for your help!

I have got my 5y residence card in April.

We applied back in January.

Thanks for the support.

6. Plum70

Plum70 Well-Known Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Languages:
    English
    Hey amoros congratulations! You are one of the lucky ones to get a speedy response! Tell me, did you apply for EEA1 and EEA2 together? (if so then that would explain the quick processing). I ask because I applied in January and still have not heard a word from the HO. :(

7. thsths

thsths Addicted member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    Deutsch, English
    Since this year EEA1 and EEA2 are no longer processed together, so it probably does not help to combine them. Also there are still people waiting for applications submitted in October, although supposedly they are now working on applications from January. Go figure. You may get a response in about a month.

Tom

8. doctor_hesham

doctor_hesham New Member

urgent help needed

I would be most grateful if you would kindly advise me with my problem.

I am a non-EU who is working in the UK, My wife is Romanian, she joined me recently in UK.
    She is applying for the registeration certificate of excercising treaty rights as a romanian citizen in UK based on being self-suffcient funded by a family emmber (husband) who works in the UK.

one of the requirements is (Comprehensive sickness cover). Which I don't understand what it means. I phoned the Home Office and asked whether the NHS card will be a sufficent proof. Strangley enough they told me they are not sure whether registering with the GP means that the person is covered!

I will be most grateful if you kindly advise me from your expereince what could be considered as an appropriate proof of cover as we are going to apply soon.

Kind regards,

9. anca33

anca33 Member

City:
    LONDON
    Hello DR-HESHAM,
    Buna ziua dnule,

I am a Romanian citizen as well and I am willing to share my experience with this HOME-OFFICE.......I applied as a self-employed person as well and the form I used it was the old BR1 Form. I considered myself entitled to have the Registration Certificate and I didn't bother too much to prove that I am a genuine Interpreter, as long as I am. I made the mistake to assume that the officers from the HOME OFFICE are competent, consistant with the information provided and if there is something needed or missing I will be told, by email, phone, letter, etc. For example, they called one of my main clients only one after 5 months (from the date I post the form and the doc., and during this time, this director changed his mobile phones; The couldn't get hold of them, but they never let me know about this, even though few days after their call, I contacted them to find out about the status of my application). One phone call only! And BANG refused! They could have used the director's email, but they didn't...I sent them my passport and they returned it in my prepaid SAE, but the amazing thing is that one letter from Home Office was saying that I am entitled to apply using AIT included and pre-tyoed form to be reassessed; the other one, was having one row in which I was allowed to reapply and one in which they said I didn't provide my passport and I have therefore no right to reapply.......I could't believe......If Home Office is so useless, no wonder why HM Revenue and Customs is keeping their files in the rubish bins....or is letting anybody to get hold of confidential information.........No wonder why Britain is economically going down.......No wonder.........But don't worry, the foreigners are the first to be blamed about everything...It's easier and more conforting to believe that anyone else is stupid or guilty, but yourself........
    I was refused to have the Certificate in mid 2008 after waiting 6 months for their decision.

After my 'failure', I adviced all my Romanian friends or acquintances what to do to not face the same result. I didn't bother too much with their decision, as I could carry on with my work and my studies in order to learn how to develop my business. They sorted out their Certificates and I am very happy for my co-nationals.

So, no matter what are you applying for, here is what I know from my experience, my friends, my Citizen Advuce Bureau Officer, my calls, my search online, etc:
    -make sure you download the latest BR1 (or whatever no is) Form possible, as they keep adding things which they weren't there before in the same type form;
    -make sure you have the invoices up to date and as many as possible for different clients; if you don't, tell them with no fear, you can't find too many clients and you are taking courses to improve your business, or you are making search online to develop it, or you are at the beginning and this is what you could work; it is not illegal to not make money out of your self-employment situation; you are entitled to be at least as stupid as the treat you........., so you can be broke; you are anyhow not entiled to access public funds, so you can sign a declareation that you are not going to do this, if they tell you how are you going to provide for yourself; or you have a husband or, whenever you run out of money or clients and you see it's not working fine for you, YOU ARE FREE TO RETURN TO ROMANIA, which you will do, if no income is coming into your bank account; we all have families in Romania and we can help each other there in case of REAL FAILURE;
    -even if you are planning to work as a DOCTOR, joking, better apply for self-employed status as a cleaner; they do not accept easily that we can be as good as them (even though the sencond language spoken at Microsoft is Romanian....); as a cleaner, you can have many clients, quickly, they do not have to be all English native speakers, as all nations are cleaning their houses and you don't have to have invoices from 'academic' professionals. companies, etc;
    -make a PEO Appointment over the phone, (YES, the one which is for all the nation in the world, all the matter, joking, the phone line which is always busy and the minimum waiting time is 15 minutes, if you are lucky and if it's busy it is still charging you, as they tell you THEY ARE TELLING YOU THEY ARE BUSY............) ; at this appointment, take with you all the documents in the list, but do not give them any document not relevant; nothing to give them reasons to talk to you to ask questions or to put you in difficulty; the response has to be given to you in the very same day;
    -if you are refused, don't panic, make enquiries WHY and make another appointment, as soon as possible and adapt to what they say; ask for their response to be in writing, if you are refused, if possible;
    -bring a bank statement, not ten, not 3, ONE; the best, with all the amount required; If you don't have money into your account, ask for friens to give you max £3,000 for a week; put this money into your account couple of days before the bank statement is issued; then take them out and use the bank statement which shows this money, not the next one which has no money in it; the Home Office will not access your bank account as you are not a criminal, the bank statement is yours and only disclosed when you are in breach of law (at that moment you would be in prison, not in Croydon);
    -if they ask you details of your life, keep it simple; DON'T FORGET, YOU ARE STUPID, THAT'S THE WAY THEY THINK ABOUT YOU, SO USE THIS IN YOUR FAVOUR; IF THERE IS AN INTERPRETER THERE TO HELP, DON'T CONSIDER THE INTERPRETER YOUR FRIEND AND TELL HIM EVERYTHING; THEY ARE OBLIGED BY THE CODE OF CONDUCT AND PRACTISE TO INTERPRET EVERYTHING YOU SAY, EVEN WHEN YOU SAY, DON'T TELL THEM; IT'S NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE MEAN, IT'S HOW THE JOB IS; YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH, THEY ARE YOUR VOICE IN ENGLISH; OTHERWISE THEY COULD LOOSE THEIR JOB IF FOUND OUT THAT THEY WEREN'T IMPARTIAL;
    -keep your stories to the point: I came here for x reason (married, work opportunities, make money and go home, study English, but you don't know what you will do in the future, as you may stay longer or not depending how your job/ course/ progress in English/ etc is);
    -don't get intimidated by their questions; they may seems that they know everything about you, but they just pretend this; they have no idea about where Romania is on the map;
    -if you earn less than around £ 5,000- £6,000 (check the SA100 form for taxing self-emplyed people - Self-Assessment Tax Calculation, I believe it's called, where the amount is updated every year), you don't have to pay taxes; as as we Romanian are not allowed to access Public Funds, as we are stupid, we DO NOT EARN MORE THAN THIS AMOUNT ISN'T IT, SO WE DON'T PAY TAXES FOR THE OTHERS TO TAKE ADVANTEGE OF OUR HARD WORK........;
    -ALSO, IF YOU SON'T EARN MORE THAN THIS AMOUNT, YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY NINO, IF YOU PLAN TO GO BACK TO ROMANIA, AS YOU WON'T GET PENSION FROM THIS STATE, SO PLEASE APPLY FOR AN EXCEMPTION CERTIFICATE FORM THE HM REVENUE AND CUSTOMS;
    -I strongly advice you to take your money for which you worked and make sure you don't pay tax or NINo if no needed;
    -if after 10 years or one you decide to go home for good, please ask for you money back, YOUR TAXES WHOULD BE RETURNED TO YOU; these are your money for old times , if you retire here; if not, use them for your old age in Romania; you worked for them, and not very easily, you deserve them; It's easy to ask for them back; it's just a form to fill in related to your NINo;
    -make sure you have everything at the same address : bank statement, sickenss insurance (which can be cacelled after 14 days of issuing it, so you don't have to get stuck with this; you have to be free to choose after PEO Apointment and after you get their STUPID CERTIFICATE, SO FIND ONLINE A COVER CLOSER TO THE DATE OF YOUR APPOINTMENT AND CANCEL IT AFTERWARDS;

As a self-employed you are not OBLIGED by the Home office TO HAVE A REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE. It's up to you if you want to prove this at a later stage. As long as you are registered with HM Revenue & Customs, you have a NI NO & Card, you are in legality. You can't be deported. You are excercising your TREATY RIGHT as a self-employed. If you have the registration certificate or not, it doesn't make difference in your life. Just makes you feel more 'NOT VULNERABLE'.

Now I'm going back to tell you these:
    -due to the lack of professionalism, the advice I was given repeatedly was wrong; I was told the length of the process is not more then 4-6 weeks, than 6 months, than , 'we don't know', etc;
    -unfortunately, due to the lack of knowledge into languages and citizenships, many officers and the majority of population believes that we ROMANIANS are Roma/ Romany/Gypsy, and they are RELUCTANT TO HELP US! If somebody would look into Wikipedia to Roma People and Romanian, they will see that Roma are everywhere here; Roma, the Gypsy ancestors are from S-W Pakistan, N-W India, which migrated in 15-16th century in Europe from ASIA; they are poligamous , speaking a Indian dialect, whcih many Romanians would not understand, they have a flag with a wheel in the middle like the Indian flag; they believe in Wichery and all sorts of non-Christian things; they are mostly of HINDU OR SINDH origin; they migrated in Romania and everywhere else; they have Hungarian, Polish, Romanian (500 thousands Gypsy minority with Romanian passport out of 23 million Romanian citizenships) and British citizenship, etc depending on the country they are settled in; I would be extremely infuriated if I would be gypsy from Hungary and told that I am Romanian, because the names are so confused, by ignorant people, SOME OF WHICH WHO ARE , UNFORTUNATELY, ALSO LEADING THIS COUNTRY; we, Romanians are Orthodox-Christian, monogamous, settled down with a history of 2000 years in Europe, speaking a language based on OLD LATIN, etc.; the differeences are big, but not highlighted by the British Government or by The Eu Parliament, as THEY, THE POWERS OF THE POWERS, DECIDED TO DESCRIMINATE ROMANIANS AND BULGARIANS AT THEIR JOINING IN THE EU.....COMPARED TO ALL THE OTHER NATIONS....SPEAKING ABOUT THE EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES....AND THE FAIRNESS OF THE EU POLICY......

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD BUY! SORRY FOR SOME INADVERTENCES AND SPELLING MISTAKES, BUT I AM IN A HURRY TO DO MANY OTHER THINGS.

Hope all Romanian will succeed with waht they want. Good luck, courage (don't be agresive if pissed of, but just firm and PLAY BY THEIR RULES FOR YOUR BEST INTEREST - 'CAINII LATRA, URSUL MERGE!')

Anyhow, don't forget British people living in Spain are EXPATS - Romanians in the UK are IMMIGRANTS. .......

10. anca33

anca33 Member

City:
    LONDON
    Regarding COMPREHESIVE SICKNESS INSURANCE , there are quotes online; it's just an insurance paid monthly for short or long term in order to support you if you don't have any income coming or you ran out of money; just British bulsh.t; take the cheapest possible and cancel it after it; if you really consider this useful for yourself/your wie, than check in which condition they pay you back the amount agreed per month; there may be things which are not written clearly and you will not benefit of their financial help even if you paid constantly; don't find out when you are in need that you should have done this or that to get the money , so good buy cover........

Don't forget: if refused, go again; don't give up.

If you want the right to work, become a FULL -TIME STUDENT, MINIMUM 15 HOURS OF STUDY PER WEEK, YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD THE COURSE STARTED BY THE TIME YOU HAVE THE PEO APPOINTMENT AT CROYDON; TICK THAT YOU WANT THE RIGHT TO WORK ON THE FORM; YOU CAN WORK 20 H PER WEEK DURING TERM TIME AND FULL TIME DURING HOLIDAYS OF HALF-TERMS, IF YOU WANT; AFTER ONE YEAR OF THIS STATUS YOU CAN GET THE BLUE CARD = YOU HAVE A PERMIT TO WORK ANYWHERE; AFTER ONE YEAR OF ANY STATUS - SELF-EMPLOYED, STUDENT, SELF-SUFFICIENT, ETC, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO FILL IN EEA1 FORM TO GET THE RESIDECY CERTIFICATE; THIS WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT OF WORK; IT'S JUST SHOUWING YOUR RESIDENCY.

Any questions I may help with, please let me know.

Anyhow, good luck and don't give up YOUR RIGHTS AS EUROPEANS.

11. anca33

anca33 Member

City:
    LONDON
    NHS CARD will not be enough.
    If you call Home Office again tomorrow, they will tell you something different. And this will happen every time you call them.
    So, searach online for quotes, don't tell teh company what is the reason you want the cover; just you want it; otherwise they will not do it. When I registered online for a quote (for a friend of mine), I was called by an officer and when I was honest about what is all about, he said he will call me back, but he never did. This country is based on lies. Don't be direct and honest. So answer in a British way, avoiding the reality. You will get what you want if you give Cesar what's Cesar's and play by their rules.

12. denham

denham New Member

dear amoros

i have the same problem with home office.
    i found you on this site while i was looking for 'Comprehensive Sickness Insurance' online.
    i follow your conversation but i could figure out from it that did you finally find out what is 'Comprehensive Sickness Insurance'?

please let me know because home office have sent back all my documents and requested few more documents pluse 'Comprehensive Sickness Insurance' which i have asked my solicitor, NHS also university but they do not know what it is!!!!

my solicitor sais:'i never heard about it.'!!!!

13. jessika789

jessika789 New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    english
    I would be most grateful if you would kindly advise me with my problem.

I am a non-EU who is working in the UK, My wife is Estonia, she joined me recently in UK.
    She is applying for the registeration certificate of excercising treaty rights as a romanian citizen in UK based on being self-suffcient funded by a family emmber (husband) who works in the UK.

one of the requirements is (Comprehensive sickness cover). She has not this cover. What i can doing now?

I will be most grateful if you kindly advise me from your expereince what could be considered as an appropriate proof of cover as we are going to apply soon.

14. iva

iva New Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Bulgarian (BG)
    Languages:
    English and Bulgarian
    My boyfriend who is Bulgarian is a student in the UK. Every student in entitled to receive a permition to work in the UK (Yellow Card) as far as he works up to 20 hours per week. Home Office added another requrement again and they want all applicants to have Compehensive Sickness Insurance Cover. He has an European Health Card for a period of 1 year, but Home Office said it is not enough. Home Office adviced us to make the Sickness Insurance Cover and said it would be around £1.50 per month, but when we were researching online and spoke with 2 Insurance companies they said they do not offer monthly payments and they both offered an annual CSIC for nearly £400. One company said that many banks in the UK are offering such sickness covers. We are confised and desperately need advice, please help! Can anybody recommend us name of Insurance company?

15. carolandjo

carolandjo New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Brazilian (BR)
    Languages:
    english portuguese italian spanish
    Hi

1) I am a brazilian national and in june/11 I got married to a italian who lives in the UK since 2008. He is a full time student and also self employed. So that will be ok to gather all docs to prove he is exercising treaty rights. There is no need for him to apply for the EEA1, right?

2) I am here in the UK on a tourist visa , I dont have a NON-EEA FAMILY PERMIT and I want to apply straigth way for the EEA2 residence card. Is it a problem?

3) And of course, our main doubt is about the health insurance. That's what they ask for the student (eea member):
    Evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance for your EEA national family member
    and for me:
    evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance.

So that means both of us have to be covered? What if we dont have, how big are the chances of having my residence card denied? I am afraid of signing for a cheap one and they kknow it is just for formalities or even I am afraid to make a contract and have to pay for it.

And I would like to finish with a bit of anger, because this country is so unfair . They say;You do not need to obtain documents confirming your right of residence in the UK if you are a family member of an EEA national. But in practical life I have no rights at all and to have the proof of my right I have to go under some much hassle!!!

16. danikalino

danikalino New Member

City:
    london
    Living In:
    Burkina Faso
    Nationality:
    Bermudian (BM)
    Languages:
    English
    UKBA is way over its head!
    After years of accepting BR1 forms without CSI, UKBA suddenly decided to add this and put some money into the Insurance Companies from foreigners.
    I don't understand why they would not accept EHIC since this is a coverage that should be accepted in whole of EU and in the UK. If UK national goes to Spain and he or she needs medical attention the EHIC should do the job and the NHS would pay the doctor in Spain.
    Correct me if I am wrong but this is the idea of the card and it should be enough to approve an application through the UKBA.
    If I were in all of your situation, I would write complaints about the procedure because it is not right to force purchasing that insurance coverage for the sake of their believes. Not if the applicant at hand has an EHIC card.
    Additionally, the institutions that should be made aware of this crippled practice must be informed and these are: The Immigration Tribunal, The Ombudsman, and The Immigration Committee. Such complaints would make attention and perhaps things could change.

17. carolandjo

carolandjo New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Brazilian (BR)
    Languages:
    english portuguese italian spanish
    Hi,

I am here to say that I got my residence card very quickly (less then 3 months) and I made few contacts via telephone with the UKBA where they were helpful and polite.

I dont want to offend anyone, every person may had a different experience of course, but my conclusion is that the forums I have read just helped me to be scared of something that wasn't true and that most of the unsuccessful cases are due for mainly 2 things: you're not eligible or you send wrong/incomplete documentation. Obviously this system can be unclear or non sense at some points, and we sure need to fight to have more respect, but it is not a monster like I thought it was just by reading before actually trying to talk with them.

My advice is: relax and read carefully the forms and instructions. Don't try to cheat, if they ask something, just send it/prove it. Also this topic, was the one that helped me the most: read-this-filing-for-residency-eea-forms-t11904.html

Good luck folks!