Forum Announcements

Forum of expats Announcements: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN COVID-19: Tell us about your experience

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by EasyExpat, Apr 14, 2020.

1. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Only 3 months done in 2020 and we already know that year 2020 will enter in History books as one of the major event in the 21st century! The pandemic that has spread around the world rapidly started in December 2019 in the Wuhan area, at the heart of China. As of today, up to 3 billions people are in lock-down and the planet is more or less at a stand still with more than 180 countries and territories on six continents affected (i.e. more or less the entire world) and killing nearly 120,000 people so far.

With most of the world required to stay at home, you are likely to have experiment of some sort of confinement. We would like you to share your experience with the community and tell us how you deal with the current crisis.

You could tell us about your current life and for example:
    • Have you thought about coming back to your country or have you decided to stay in you expat-country?
    • What sort of measures are in place in the country where you live? Is it a total lockdown? Partial? How is the population reacting?
    • What is your personal opinion on the way the pandemic is currently managed by the country?
    • Are you furloughed or do you work from home (and in that case, how do you manage)?
    • If you have children, how do you manage home-schooling?
    • How do you manage the relationship with your family in your home-country? Do you call them more often? And do you have more contacts with your friends? Have you put in place some video groups on social media?
    We greatly appreciate your participation and thank you in advance.

And of course, stay safe and avoid any travel for the meantime.

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
  3. Jeric

Jeric Member

City:
    Florence
    Living In:
    Italy
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Filipino, Italian
    Hi everyone! My name is Jeric and I am an expat here in Florence, Italy. As we all know, the whole Italy now is in lockdown. Lockdown here is very serious. I've never encountered any pandemic situation in my entire life.

Living as an expat is quite difficult for me. I have my family in the Philippines, I have no friends here, the food is different and now the pandemic came. I am very afraid of this situation. I know that this will make a very big impact on the country and for everyone. I know that this is something that we can conquer. I miss my family and as much as I wanted to see my own country, I cant. But after all, I still decided to continue living here at the moment.

At first, Italy was super relaxed about this situation until the time came that the government has to suspend all classes in all schools. When they suspended, many Italians rejoice and thinking that they were on vacation only. But until it reaches thousands of cases and the government decided to fully lock down the country.

In Florence now, it is prohibited to go out without masks and gloves. I know that it was a little bit late when they decided to fully lockdown the country. But now, I guess they are doing their very best to minimize the physical contacts. As my part-time job, I work at home doing blogging.

Since the Philippines is in lockdown too in some parts, my family is struggling too. We communicate more frequently than before. Honesty, this pandemic made our relationship stronger than before. Luckily we have messaging apps nowadays to use to contact our loved ones more frequently.

#3 Jeric, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2020
    Andre2021 likes this.
  4. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Many thanks @Jeric for sharing your experience of the crisis in Florence and Italy.
    I assume you can compare with your family in Philippines the differences in confinement over there and in Italy.
    I heard that they are relaxing slowly the rules, so it might become less difficult.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
  6. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
  7. Jeric

Jeric Member

City:
    Florence
    Living In:
    Italy
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    Right now we are still waiting for the final announcement from the government. But according to the latest news, they will make an announcement on 1st of May and it will be effected by 3rd of May.

In the Philippines they haven’t announced yet when they are ending the enhanced quarantine. But finger crossed that we will end this sooner... in terms of cases, Italy is dropping the number of affected everyday. Which is a very positive result of quarantine.

8. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    @Jeric If we follow the same trend as before the crisis, France will release the lockdown 1 week later ... and they have actually announced the 11th May and the UK a week or more later...
    My bet is that it will be much later in the UK has they have still massive death toll everydays and the FT is even talking about the most hit country in Europe. :(
    What other countries will do such as Germany, Belgium, Spain...remains to be seen.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Jeric

Jeric Member

City:
    Florence
    Living In:
    Italy
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    Right now, all we can do is to wait until further notice. It is hard but we can’t do anything.

10. kasperxia

kasperxia New Member

City:
    Shanghai
    Living In:
    China
    Nationality:
    Chinese (CN)
    Languages:
    Chinese,English,Spanish
    Hello, I'm Chinese living in Shanghai, welcome to Shanghai. Hope the international air flights will be resumed soon. The Covid situation has been OK in Shanghai, we can freely move and work now. Do have fun there.

Since the Covid has ruined all the int'l biz now, I'm taking the time to tutor the foreign friends the Chinese mandarin now, if you 're looking for a Chinese tutor, please do not hesitate to approach me.

#10 kasperxia, May 31, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2020
  11. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Most of the countries are releasing partly their lockdown rules around the world. Do you have still some advice/measures in Shanghai, such as social distancing, masks inside shops...etc ? Or is it all gone?

12. FRANCESCO POSITIVO

FRANCESCO POSITIVO New Member

City:
    Roma
    Living In:
    Italy
    Nationality:
    Italian (IT)
    Languages:
    Italiano inglese spagnolo
    Hi In ITALY I,m Resident in Roma covid 19 Situation Pandemic has Been.no to mach tourist no work I Before Visit BERMUDA Very Paradise

I would like to move to Bermuda me and my wife a hug I am positive

13. Paulina Ludwigstorff

City:
    Vienna
    Living In:
    Austria
    Nationality:
    Austrian (AT)
    Languages:
    Deutsch, English, Español, Français
    Hi,
    my name is Paulina Ludwigstorff and I am currently studying CEMS/International Management at WU Vienna. For my Master Thesis, I have chosen the topic of Expatriate Crisis Management and I am currently looking for expatriates to answer my survey.
    The aim of the thesis and the goal of this survey is to explore the actions companies have taken during the COVID-19 crisis in regards to their expatriates. Through my findings I try to help organisations and expatriates during possible future crises. This survey takes 5-10min.

Here is the link: https://wuvienna.limequery.net/541511?lang=en

I would be very grateful if anyone takes the time to fill out my survey!

Thanks in advance to everyone!
    Paulina

14. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
  15. Fran Veiga

Fran Veiga Member

Living In:
    Spain
    Nationality:
    Spanish (ES)
    Languages:
    Español, English, Italiano, Français
    Hello from Madrid, here we have had a very hard situation for three months but now Madrid is back:) (hopefully for a long time)

On Sunday 21 June, the three-month state of alarm came to an end. The borders have now reopened to visitors from Schengen countries, the UK and twelve other third countries. People are allowed to travel freely around the country, face masks continue to be mandatory in public places and social distancing rules must be followed.

Madrid is back

In Madrid, the following measures are in place from 6 July:
    • Maximum capacity in most establishments (including shops, shopping centres, libraries, cinemas, theatres, indoor sports centres, theme parks and bullrings) is 75%.
    • Restaurants, bars and cafés can open indoor dining at 75% capacity, and are allowed to serve at the bar. Outside terraces may now open at 100% capacity.
    • Night clubs and other late night venues may now open with a maximum capacity of 40% and without dance floor.
    • Public pools, both indoor and outdoor, may open at 50% capacity.
    • Hotels are allowed to reopen their common areas up to 75% of capacity.
    • Children's parks, skate parks and outdoor activities managed by the Region of Madrid are allowed to open as long as long as there is at least 4m2 of space per person.
      In the Madrid mountains, picnic areas and other recreation areas will remain closed unless a maximum capacity of 75% and the proper disinfection of tables, benches and fountains can be guaranteed.
    • Large shopping centres are allowed to open at a 75% capacity (common areas can only be used for walking). Outdoor markets may also open with a maximum capacity of 75%.

16. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
  17. ANA232

ANA232 New Member

City:
    Mercedes
    Living In:
    Uruguay
    Nationality:
    Uruguayan (UY)
    Languages:
    Español,english
    Hi, I'm Ana, Coordinator of Guri Family Studies in Uruguay. What a beautiful forum, I just wanted to say hello and wish everyone the best in this difficult time we are living.
    In our study centers it is really difficult to coordinate in a new course. I hope that a solution will be found soon and we will return to our routine. But let us not forget and do our part to make a better world. Especially in the part that concerns us teachers and professors. Regards

[EDIT Moderation: Link removed]

#17 ANA232, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2020
  18. Nensysun

Nensysun New Member

City:
    Lagos
    Living In:
    Nigeria
    Nationality:
    Nigerian (NE)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello, I am Nensy. It is really heartbreaking.

19. crtramy

crtramy Member
    Networker

City:
    Barcelona
    Living In:
    Spain
    Nationality:
    Vietnamese (VN)
    Languages:
    vietnamita, español, inglés
    Hi I am Tra My from Vietnam. Currently, I live in Barcelona. The situation of Covid-19 in Vietnam is very good, and we have few cases. The authority has controlled very well with strict restrictions so we are not in the crisis like Europe. If you want to go to live in Vietnam, let me know and I can help you.

20. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Covid triage? What happens?