Forum Ireland

Forum of expats in Ireland: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Visa for a non EU citizen married with a EU citizen

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by CBL1988, Apr 26, 2013.

1. CBL1988

CBL1988 New Member

Living In:
    France
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    french, english, spanish, creole
    Hello everybody,

I am seeking for informations about visa requirements for my husband. It's quite hard to get some informations from official institutions so maybe somebody was in the same situation as us before.
    I am french and my husband is from Mauritius. We are both living in France at the moment (my husband has a french work permit / visa).
    We would like to move to Ireland in September knowing that we have both been living there before. I would have a job before moving and my husband will follow a course and work part time.
    If my informations are correct, he needs to apply for a long stay (type D visa) and then ask for a GNIB card which will allow him to work in Ireland. Can anybody confirm this?

The problem is that when he was living (and working) there, he was not able to renew his visa hence he stayed two years whitout a visa... He was not deported though.
    Now, we are scared that his visa might be refused because of this.

Has anybody been in this situation before?
    Does the irish government have the right to refuse him the entry for this reason?

I would really appreciate some help as we cannot really plan moving there if there's an eventualty of him being refused at the border or being refused the visa/GNIB card.

Thanks in advance !!