Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Polish Citizenship

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by gjene, Feb 22, 2008.

1. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi all

Here is a question for someone to answer. My grandfather was born in a small town in Poland called Elzbietow. He served in the Polish Armed Forces approx. 1935-1940 time frame and was a Corporal.
    By 1940 he got (re)married in Lublin and in 1942 my mother was born there. But during the war they had to relocate into Germany and by 1951 immigrated to Canada.
    Then in 1956 my grandparents got their Canadian citizenship and by default my mother got it also. Partly because she was still considered under age and parental care.
    I was made aware that you had to go through the Polish President to renounce citizenship. From what I could gather from relatives, my grandparents may not have not so. If that is the case, then would that apply to my mother also? Even if she was 14 yrs old at the time? Technically if she still has Polish citizenship by default, would I be able to obtain citizenship?
    I am not sure if the Canadian Immigration would have this information if my grandparents renounced their citizenship from Poland. Where could I write to obtain this information? Under the Polish Constitution of 1952 made it clear that the President of Poland had to accept such a renunciation. Then there is the Polish Citizenship Act of 1999. Thanks all.

2. mmoya

mmoya New Member

Hello,

based on your information, it is possible for you and your mother to confirm your polish citizenship. There are 3 acts that would apply in this case; polish citizenship Act of 1920, 1951 & current of 1962. It is almost impossible to get the answer from polish authorities if your family (your grandfather) renounced polish citizenship. To determinate this you would have to apply for confirmation of polish citizenship with province governor and they will check it.

mm

3. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Thanks mmoya. I was able to find some other information that I can use to check whether my grandparents gave up their Polish citizenship.

Gary

4. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français