Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Polish citizenship by ancestry?

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by 2006dr, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2006dr

2006dr New Member

I am an American citizen interested in obtaining an EU passport essentially to provide flexibility in the future - I'd love to spend a few years in Europe at some point, and it'd be nice to avoid the burden of visas, work permits, etc if there is any possibility of obtaining a legitimate EU citizenship.

Two of my great-grandparents (my paternal grandmother's parents) were born in Poland and immigrated to the US as adults. As far as I know, they were never naturalized as American citizens, and if they were, it was almost certainly after my grandmother's birth. I do not know what my grandmother's Polish citizenship status is - I don't think she ever pursued a passport or any proof of her citizenship, but I would guess being born to two Polish citizens she would be considered a Polish citizen.

I did a Google search and found vague information on Polish citizenship but I did find something that said two great-grandparents or one grandparent having Polish citizenship may allow you to become a Polish citizen.

Does anyone have more information, or has anyone gone through a similar situation?

Thanks

2. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English