Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Polish Citizenship [part1]

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by Kay, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kay

Kay Member

Hi
    Im an Australian citizen, born and bred. My grandfather is Polish - emigrated to Australia in 1949, gained Australian citizenship in 1958. My dad was born in Oz in 1951. My grandfather never renounced Polish citizenship.
    Ive been told I am eligible to apply for polish citizenship, which means I can apply for a Polish passport. Anyone know anything about this and if this is indeed true?
    thanks
    Kay

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Where do you live? In Australia? I think the quickest way is probably to contact the Polish consulate and ask them. They will give an official and reliable answers for now... rules are changing all the time.

3. nrain.com

nrain.com New Member

I am a Bangladeshi citizen living in UK . Am I eligible for the Polish Citizenship?

4. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    So, therefore that's what I said: go to the Polish consulate in London and ask. You will probably have to fill a dossier...

5. Tzale

Tzale New Member

I would appreciate if you reply back with an answer when you get it. My grandfather was a Polish citizen and I'd like to know if I could become a Polish citizen. I am an American Citizen by birth.

6. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Poland joined the European Union in May 2004. :thumbsup:

"Many of its former citizens have not returned to Poland since the end of the Second World War and their descendants have acquired the citizenship of the countries in which they were born. However, an individual has an entitlement to Polish citizenship if his or her ancestors were Polish and did not acquire another citizenship voluntarily."

Its very popular theme these days...becoming polish....I wonder why? :rolleyes:

http://www.polandembassy.org/

7. Tzale

Tzale New Member

Wow great news! I'm going to read about it now. The reason why I want to become a Polish citizen is because by becoming a Polish citizen you will be able to move to other European Union countries. Currently the new countries admitted into the EU don't have free borders with the old EU members but in 5 years I believe Poland will be a full member so Polish citizens could travel to other EU countries. The reason for this is to bring Poland's economy up to speed with the rest of Western Europe since Central Europe is far behind in terms of economic growth but it's changing for the better now!

-Tzale

8. Neuman

Neuman Active Member

City:
    New York City
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    I am an American citizen and both of my father's parents were born in Poland. I would also like to gain citizenship. Did you find out any new information?

9. lukasz

lukasz New Member

CAN ANYONE HELP?

Hello
    Ok I was born and raised in Poland, moved to Canada in 88 and now 16yrs later i want to move to Ireland. Both Pol and IRl are in the EU.
    My question is... (and i have a Polish Passport and citizen ship card) do i need some sort of EU card or special EU passport to live in Ireland, or just being born in poland with all the right polish documents good enough
    many thanks
    Luke

10. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    No need of a Visa anymore as Poland is part of EU now. Passport or ID card is enough.

11. xanthuos

xanthuos New Member

City:
    Saskatoon, SK Canada
    Here is my situation:
    To the best of my knowledge, my grandmother's parents were both born in Poland and Polish citizens. They emigrated to the United States in the early 1900s. My grandmother was born in the US in 1925. I do not know if they got American citizenship (I have to find out from my grandmother what she knows).

Would there be any chance I could apply for Polish citizenship? If so, what would I need to do so? Like what kind of documentation? I know that I'll have to contact the embassy, but I don't want to say the wrong thing to them, so I want to figure out everything I need ahead of time.
    I can understand it being popular now that Poland is in the EU. That's *partly* why I would like to get citizenship (the other part is that I wouldn't actually mind traveling in, and perhaps living & working in Poland, for a little time to learn more about my heritage).

Other avenues include my maternal grandfather's side of the family (from Slovakia) and my paternal grandfather's side (from Scotland). Any suggestions are always appreciated. The problem is that I'm not a 1st or even 2nd generation...at best, I'm a 3rd generation descendent.

Edit: In case there's confusion, I'm an American-born US citizen. I'm just in Canada staying with my family that moved here.

12. Kay

Kay Member

Kay here -

Well Ive applied and awaiting outcome. Hard work. I got my granfathers polish birth certificate (and luckily could locate his parents also) and any documents I could of his - ie his Australian naturalization, the papers he arrived in Australia in and on ie. what 'migranrt program'... I had to include mine, my fathers details (passports and brith certificates) and write a biography of my grandfathers life...ALL IN POLISH! Hard work. Sent it to the Australian Polish consulate who inturn sent it to the Warsaw Vovoidship in Poland. Its been almost 2 months since I sent it away, no news yet....fingers crossed

13. Kay

Kay Member

To the person who was enquiring if they could get Polish citizenship..you maybe in luck..I found this below..rgds Kay

Poland welcomes returns from the diaspora
    There are signs that Poles are returning from Western Europe, and the government has introduced new provisions to encourage Poles living in the former Soviet Union to come back.

Over half the 10,000 foreigners who apply for Polish citizenship each year are returning Polish emigrants. Although the net flow is still outwards, with 25,000 departing each year, the balance is tipping towards return. An unrecorded number of people with dual citizenship, who never surrendered their Polish passports or who retain their German citizenship, are also returning. There is a high representation of educated and skilled Poles among those coming back. With rising wages in and the prospect of EU membership, Poland has become relatively more attractive to skilled workers.

One region to suffer from out-migration in the post-Communist era was Silesia. Perhaps 10 per cent of the region’s population, 500,000 people, left after 1990. At the time German citizenship was easy to obtain for Poles of German heritage. Now some are coming back, permanently or temporarily. Some live in Poland but commute to Germany for work.

The Polish lower house (Sejm) passed a law to assist the repatriation of Poles who were left behind on the territories of the former USSR. Sources calculate that 20,000 of the 60,000 Poles in Kazakhstan will seek entry into Poland, just as Kazakh Germans repatriated. To qualify, a person must demonstrate that a parent, grandparent or two great-grandparents had Polish nationality. They must also show evidence of links with Polishness. The law excludes those repatriated from Poland between 1944 and 1957 to Belarus and Ukraine. Under the provision, the government will pay travel costs, the costs of setting up home, of educating children and a daily allowance.

In September it was announced that, for the first time, Poles living abroad will be able to vote in the second round of the presidential elections. The Foreign Ministry reckons there are 800,000 to one million eligible Polish citizens abroad.

When Poland joins the EU, in 2003 or 2005, the border with Belarus will become the EU’s eastern boundary. Germany and Austria are pressuring Warsaw to create a high-security, fenced border in anticipation of membership. But the Polish authorities are anxious not to offend their neighbours or jeopardise the significant (though falling) amount of cross-border trade, much of it informal. The Bialowieski Forest will prove particularly hard to police. Officials are already discovering networks of tunnels in the area designed to help smuggle migrants across.

Polish Parliament adopts law enabling repatriation of Poles from East, BBC Monitoring Service 20.7.00; Poland's emigres find the grass is greener at home, John Reed Financial Times 22.7.00; On the soon-to-be eastern frontier, The Economist 26.8.00; Poles abroad able to vote in runoff Presidential ballot, BBC Monitoring Service 20.9.00

Back to Contents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hungarians continue to debate citizenship status
    Pressure from the diaspora on Hungary’s government to extend citizenship rights to Hungarians abroad continued throughout the summer (see traces #10).

At a convention of the World Federation of Hungarian Calvinists in July, a statement from nine organizations representing Transylvanian Hungarians called on the government to move towards dual citizenship for the diaspora. It also requested more funding from Budapest for the diaspora, above the current 0.13 per cent of the national budget.

The Hungarian Democratic Union of Romania (UDMR) repeated its dissatisfaction with the government’s draft bill on the status of Hungarians abroad. Chairman Bela Marko called for the diaspora to receive the right of entry, but not the right to residence or to vote. Among the UDMR’s complaints is that the Hungarian authorities unfairly punish Transylvanian Hungarians caught working in the country illegally, but do nothing to punish the employers.

The President of the World Federation of Hungarians, Miklos Patrubany, undertook a cross-country tour of Hungary to campaign for the enhanced status, which he has compared to British alien citizenship more than full dual citizenship. Patrubany met with the general secretary of Austria’s governing People’s Party in Vienna to press his case. The WFH has support from junior parties in Hungary’s governing coalition, the Hungarian Democratic Forum and the Independent Smallholders’ party.

The government’s bill is scheduled to go to parliament in November. Hungarians in Transylvania (Romania) and Vojvodina (Serbia) began a petition campaign to influence the legislation and call for external citizenship.

In August Moldova enacted its new citizenship law allowing dual nationality in cases where there is a bilateral agreement with the citizen’s second country. President Lucinschi announced that the new law was in keeping with the European Convention on Citizenship, which Moldova accepted in March.

Hungary’s policy on ethnic Hungarians is to keep them at home – official, BBC monitoring service 17.7.00; Transylvanian Hungarians concerned over impact of Hungary’s EU entry, BBC Monitoring service 17.7.00; Federation leader campaigns for special citizenship for ethnic Hungarians, BBC Monitoring Service 19.7.00; World Federation of Hungarians leader proposes alien citizenship for ethnic kin, BBC Monitoring Service 21.7.00; Romanian Hungarians unhappy over Hungary’s bill on status of ethnic kin abroad, BBC monitoring service 25.7.00; Moldova enacts new citizenship law on dual nationality, BBC Monitoring Service 11.8.00; Romanian Hungarian official criticizes Hungary’s treatment of illegal workers, BBC Monitoring Service 25.9.00; Junior government party wants citizenship for Hungarians abroad, BBC Monitoring Service 28.9.00; Romanian Hungarians campaign for special Hungarian citizenship status, BBC Monitoring Service 28.9.00; Hungarian minorities official opposes citizenship for Hungarian diaspora, BBC Monitoring Service 4.10.00

Back to Contents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lawsuits filed in USA by ‘comfort women’ and forced labourers
    In August a group of Chinese forced to labour for Japanese companies during World War II filed suit in a Los Angeles court demanding compensation. The claim was exceptional in including Chinese citizens alongside US citizens of Chinese descent. Among the 20 companies named are Mitsui and Mitsubishi.

It was the latest of 30 similar lawsuits brought in the past year, The rise in suits comes as a result of the state of California extending the limit on filing to 2010. Non-US nationals and bereaved relatives may file suit. Not only Japanese companies, but also German firms have been the target of court actions in the USA.

A group of women claiming that they were forced to serve as ‘comfort women’ for the Japanese army in World War II brought a class action suit against the Japanese government in a Washington DC court in September. This was the first suit on this issue brought in the USA, and was brought under both US and international law. Among the group of 15 women are Koreans, Chinese, Filipinos and Taiwanese nationals, none with US citizenship.

The suit claims that the Japanese government set up hundreds of brothels and staffed them with 200,000 women brought by force from other Asian countries – so-called ‘comfort women’. The Japanese government responded to the suit by expressing remorse but stating that the matter was closed after the 1951 San Francisco Peace Treaty. In 1995 it set up the Asian Women’s Fund, which ahs paid out over two million yen to 170 women in compensation.

In a related development, the Korean Council for Women Drafted into Military Sexual Slavery by Japan called on the Korean government to challenge Japanese textbooks’ account of the war. The call coincided with a visit to Japan by President Kim Dae-jung.

Chinese to file forced labor lawsuit in U.S. court, Kazuo Ishii The Yomiuri Shimbun 23.8.00; ‘Comfort women’ lawsuit to be filed in U.S. court, The Yomiuri Shimbun 17.9.00; Wartime sex slaves take Japan to US court, Michael Ellison The Guardian 20.9.00; Korean comfort women appeal over Japan ‘distortion’ BBC Monitoring Service 22.9.00

Back to Contents

Tax havens and money laundering
    The OECD and G7 stepped up their campaigns against tax havens and money laundering, led by the French and US governments.

Michael Camdessus, former head of the IMF, states that money laundering is equivalent to 2-5 per cent of global GNP. Oxfam reported that developing countries were losing $50 billion a year to tax havens, equivalent to the world’s total aid budget.

In late June France co-hosted a major international summit on tax havens, drawing together OECD member countries and others, 60 in total. France has taken the lead on tackling what it regards as harmful tax practices, meaning countries that seek to attract investment seeking to avoid tax in home countries. The OECD published a list of 35 such jurisdictions, giving them a year to reform. None of the countries named attended the summit. But they included territories linked to OECD members such as Gibraltar, Monaco, and the US Virgin Islands. Other British territories include Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, Barbados, Guernsey, the isle of Man, Jersey, Montserrat, St. Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. Failure to adopt more transparent practices within a year will lead to the countries being listed as ‘unco-operative tax havens’. The loss of reputation would endanger legitimate financial investment, it is argued.

In a separate report, the International Financial Action Task Force (FATF) against money laundering named certain countries as failing to co-operate sufficiently. They included Cyprus, Israel, the Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Costa Rica, Malta, Liechtenstein and Mauritius, the Bahamas, Cook Islands, Dominica, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Panama, the Philippines, St Kitts and Nevis and St Vincent and the Grenadines. Russia was also listed. FATF member countries were urged to pay close attention to transactions originating from these places. It warns that failure to reform may lead to the rest of the world refusing to do business with tax havens. The FATF was set up by G7.

The G7’s finance ministers also issued a declaration about money-laundering and global financial crime at their meeting in Japan in July.

The US authorities are particularly keen to crack down on e-commerce companies using the internet to avoid sales tax. The US Treasury claims that it already has strong evidence that this practice is happening. In July Canada adopted a tough new law against money laundering to come into effect at the end of 2000. It will bring the law into line with the USA. Canada’s stable currency and good banking system have made it attractive for organized crime looking to launder money.

There was a strong reaction to the OECD and G7. A meeting of the Caribbean Community (Caricom) in July rejected the OECD’s criticisms and accused it of running an ‘orchestrated campaign’ against them. They complained that Caribbean countries were not represented in the report process and argued that the FATF’s threats were against international law. At the United Nations in September, the Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda, Lester Bird, accused the rich world of breaking international law and trying to throttle efforts of small countries to improve themselves. In 1999 British and American investors were warned to be suspicious of transactions from Antigua, resulting in a sudden decline in the level of investment.

Cyprus promised to reform its offshore banking sector and stop tax evasion and money-laundering. The finance minister offered to submit reform proposals to the OECD for clearance, thereby avoiding being listed among the 35 unhelpful tax havens, as well as escaping the FATF list of 15. There are over 40,000 offshore companies registered on the island, but only 1,200 carry out day-to-day operations there. Among the rest are a large number of Russian and Yugoslav front companies.

Industrial world tightens net around tax havens, Sue Kendall Agence France Presse International 26.6.00; France co-hosts 60-state meeting on tax havens, Agence France Presse International 29.6.00; All havens in a storm, the Economist 1.7.00; Business centre or tax haven?, Kerin Hope Financial Times 3.7.00; Caricom summit rejects OECD calling some Caribbean nations ‘harmful tax havens’, BBC Monitoring Service 6.7.00; Making clean work of dirty money, Michael Peel Financial Times 7.7.00; OECD takes aim at 'harmful' tax havens, Michael Peel Financial Times 7.7.00; Sun, sea, sand and the occasional hurricane, Stephen Arthur Financial Times 7.7.00; Main points of G7 statement, Agence France Presse International 8.7.00; US seeks to stop net becoming an offshore tax haven, Peter Spiegel Financial Times 11.7.00; Money-laundering laws in Canada get some starch, Sandra Rubin Financial Post 13.7.00; Idylls where the jet set find life not too taxing, Patrick Jenkins Financial Times 29.7.00; Small states, big money, The Economist 23.9.00

Back to Contents

Serb diaspora meets to back Milosevic
    In August representatives of the Serbian diaspora met in Belgrade to offer support to the tottering Milosevic regime. The assembly, known as Convention Diaspora 2000, formed a council of 11 members. It backed Milosevic’s candidature for the Presidency after he had addressed the assembly. Among its other decisions was an initiative to require every adult in the diaspora to contribute 100 Deutschesmarks a year to the Council’s activities. The delegates also criticised the UN for its policy on Kosovo. The diaspora convention first met in August 1999. The delegate’s flights and expenses were paid for by the Serbian government, ensuring a friendly reception for Milsoevic.

Around 50,000 Serbs were expected to return to the country to vote in September’s Presidential elections. There were no provisions to cast ballots in Yugoslav diplomatic offices abroad.

Also in August the Second World Congress of Montenegrin Emigres was held in Cetinje, Montenegro.

Milosevic sets out policy goal in talks with disapora, BBC monitoring service 6.8.00; Serbian diaspora pledges to spread ‘truth’ about Serbs, BBC Monitoring Service 6.8.00; Montenegrin diaspora offers support for ‘free and democratic’ Montenegro, BBC Monitoring Service 13.8.00; Yugoslav NGO head sees about 50,000 diaspora Serbs voting against Milosevic, BBC Monitoring Service 18.9.00

Back to Contents

14. hwa

hwa New Member

Polish Citizenship

I applied for my Polish citizenship and finally got my "Certificate of Polish Citizenship" earlier this year. I was born in the US, but got my citizenship on the basis of my parents being Polish citizens. Now I need to apply for my Polish passport (a separate process).

Kay, please gird yourself for a long wait. My application also went to the Warsaw wojewodstwo, and it took A YEAR AND A HALF to get my certificate. Who knows how much longer it'll be to get the passport....

Polish law states that anyone who is the child of a Polish citizen, is also a Polish citizen, regardless of where the child was born. You can only lose Polish citizenship if you explicitly renounce it. So as long as there is proof of Polish citizenship for an ancestor and documented chain of relation, with no explicity renounced citizenships along the way, you are also a Polish citizen.

Note that if this applies to you, you are _already_ a Polish citizen. If you apply for your citizenship certification, you are merely applying to get certification that this is true. This is a separate from applying to _get_ citizenship, which is a different procedure. Make sure that you make this clear to any consulate that you may ask for information.

15. Kay

Kay Member

hwa

Thanks for your post. I think Im on the right track as I sent in all my details to 'confirm citizenship': http://www.poland.org.au/site/index.php?id=241

What I found odd - the application form asks for no contact details for you. I added a separate sheet with my home address, how do they contact you with this "confirmation"? Did the polish consulate you posted your details to send you something? Just wanting an idea of what to expect.
    Asyou are now at the passpot application stage, did you also have to get a PESEL thing..looks like a social security card/ID card?

Kay

16. hwa

hwa New Member

Hi Kay,

I had my current address in my forwarding letter and on my "autobiography" (which I did more in the form of a CV). I didn't get anything from the consulate after I submitted my documents until I got the certificate.

I haven't gotten my PESEL card yet. I was told to submit the application along with my passport application. I also have to figure out something you have to do about your birth certificate. You're supposed to have it registered in Poland (even though you were born outside Poland); but the instructions aren't clear about whether I need to send the letter or whether my mother does.

17. frodo_4fr

frodo_4fr New Member

City:
    France
    polish citizenship and old records

I was wondering, since my grandparents emigrated from Gdynia around 1920 and entered the USA via Canada, there is no record of their arrival. Also, no birth rercords, although their death certificates indicate place of birth as Poland, as do their marriage records.

How critical are the birth records for the Polish born grandparents? Although, when they were born it would have been part of Grmany or Russia. Will that matter?
    Oh, so many questions........

Thanks in advance for any info,.

cheers,
    Paul

18. hwa

hwa New Member

Hi Paul,

The Polish government will probably want some sort of official birth record. A listing on a US marriage and death certificate probably has little value since it was there just on the basis of your grandparents filling that in on whatever form.

Birth records probably exist, especially if they were Catholic. The church kept excellent birth records. One place to start looking is the Mormon Church. They have been systematically copying and microfilming birth records all over the world. You can access some of their databases of records online from their site.

Good luck!
    Henry

19. ethnic101

ethnic101 New Member

City:
    Belleville ON Canada
    Polish Citizenship: What is Renouncing Citizenship

I would like to apply personally for Polish citizenship and later apply for my Canadian born children. I was born in Canada of Polish born parents who immigrated to Canada when they were children in their early 1930's. Both sides of my parents ancestors have long established "born in Poland" roots. I have communicated with the local Polish consulate and it seems that dual Canadian & Polish citizenship is not a problem for them. I have seen the long list of what documents have to be provided and thankyou for the link above from the Sydney Australia consulate site which is dead on: just needed Canadian dollar equivalent fee which I found. The big issue I have is the question of renouncing Polish citizenship, that term shows up everywhere. When I asked for a definition from the consul whether that renouncing was an automatic result of accepting new Canadian citizenship which all may parents and grandparents proudly did or did the new Canadian citizen have to apply to the consulate ( a second process) to renounce their roots in reality by "rejecting their past" and renouncing their birth right citizenship, I never received a satisfactory answer from the consulate. I said if the latter case applied, none of my relatives would ever think of taking the extra step of rejecting their roots, they were proud to be a new Canadian and would never take a 2nd step to reject their roots to which they were so proud. They said just apply. Because I do not want to bother them and maybe effect my case, does anyone have an answer to that very relevent question.
    Ted

20. hwa

hwa New Member

renouncing citizenship

As far as I know, in order to renounce your Polish citizenship, you must formally do so before a Polish official (either at a consulate or in Poland) and have the renunciation formally accepted and registered by the President of Poland (obviously done through some ministry), so the wording of your parents' Canadian citizenship oath would have no bearing on their Polish citizenship.