Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN How Long is processing time for a UK Marriage Visa?

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by afleisch99, Mar 16, 2011.

1. afleisch99

afleisch99 New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    Hi all,
    I am currently engaged to a woman in the UK. We are planning on getting married and then I will enter the country on the marriage visa. I have been advised by a solicitor that if I have a job offer lined up, the marriage visa will be approved since I can prove that we will not use public funds. Since it involves making my employer wait till the visa is approved, my question is how long does the visa application process take? Some information would be, we're both above age 21, will be only me, no children. I am an American citizen. She is a British citizen. We will not use public funds. we have been together for almost 3 years (and can prove it).

Thanks for your help!

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    I believe the official stance is around 6 months for most visas. It may take less time, but it is hard to tell. The UK Border agency site (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settl ... tingtimes/) says "We will:

* decide 95% of postal applications within six months; and
    * decide 90% of applications made in person at a public enquiry office within 24 hours."

Here is a thread of people waiting for EEA2 to give you an idea how others are feeling: eea2-current-processing-time-t22434.html

Best of luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jagerbomb

Jagerbomb New Member

Living In:
    South Africa
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Here in SA it took 5 days for my husband to get his spouse visa from the time we submitted all documentation at the Border Agency with the results of his English Test. All people wishing to settle in the UK on a spouse visa have to do an English Test before they apply for the visa (unless you have the appropriate English Degree), that was a delay for us in applying for the visa, but the actual processing of the visa was quick. I being the' Sponsor' on a UK passport gathered months of paperwork and evidence and the proof of accommodation and everything else they require. It was a stressful time!

4. afleisch99

afleisch99 New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    thanks sooo much!! that is a great help

5. ElisaAZ

ElisaAZ New Member

City:
    Phoenix
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Spanish, Italian
    Hello,

This is information for US citizens applying from the US for a Tier 1 spouse visa. I am in the beginning stages of processing and from the information I have found TIer 1 Visa (spouse visa falls under this)

31% in 2 days
    38% in 3 days
    45% in 5 days
    64% in 10 days
    79% in 15 days
    96% is confirmed in 30 days
    99% in 60 days.

I found this information on: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/processingtimes
    and I selected USA.

"You can apply for your visa within three months of your intended date of travel. We are only able to post-date visas by a maximum of three months from the date of the decision on your visa application. You can enter the UK anytime after your visa issue date but not before. "

Processing time begins when they receive your information: passport, application ect.

I am getting married in May and we will be submitting my documents soon after. Let me know how it goes :)

Good luck!

6. afleisch99

afleisch99 New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    Thanks so much for your response! that was exactly what i was looking for. We are planning on getting married as well in the next few months. i won't be able to apply for the spouse visa until I have a job offer or some form of proof I'll be able to not use public funds, but at least i know that it is likely I'd have the application processed in 30 days! Good luck on your wedding and move!!

7. ElisaAZ

ElisaAZ New Member

City:
    Phoenix
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Spanish, Italian
    Great I am glad I could help. Unfortunately I just realized I gave you some wrong information. i was a little confused on why you needed to find a job before heading over. I accidentally gave you information for TIer 1 visa, but we need a Settlement Visa, this takes the same amount of time according to that chart I sent you.

Here is a link for general questions on Settelment Visa Application Process: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... e#23093068

In the page you will find a pdf of the application. It does not state you need to find a job before going. You will need to prove you have a job(in the states) and how much money you're planning to bring to UK. They also ask how much do you need monthly in order to survive. You could enter UK on intentions of being a homemaker and possibly looking for a job later. This is what the website states:
    What should I do if I am not working or paying for my trip?
    If you are not working you should include financial documents of the person who supports you. If someone else is paying for your trip, explain why they are paying and include their financial details.

Details on all the documents you will need and an explaination for: Settlement Visa - Spouse are in the following pdf. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/ ... settlement

Let me know if you find any other good info or if you have any other questions :)

8. afleisch99

afleisch99 New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    that is the best information I've seen yet in one place! thank you sooo much. I am going to bookmark/print those links. I do have a good job here, and would like to find one there as well. Don't have a lot banked and I would be the bread winner so I need to make sure I have enough funds or promise of funds coming to convince the agency to grant the visa. A lot will boil down to timing as well. I will be more than happy to pass on anything else i find if I do. excellent and perfect information. thanks again!

9. GTR

GTR New Member

Living In:
    Sri Lanka
    Nationality:
    Sri lankan (LK)
    Languages:
    Tamil and English
    I lodged my spouse visa application in VFS Sri Lanka on the 27th of August and I got the message on the 29th of August as Application is under Process at BHC. After that absolutely nothing from any resources.

I am frustrated, how long they are going to take?

Did any body submitted settlement visa application around on 27th of August.

Please response to my que.

Thanks

10. babesphil

babesphil New Member

City:
    Iloilo
    Living In:
    Qatar
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    tagalog,arabic,english
    I submitted my documents Dec,12 called for interview appointment on feb 28. unfortunately my application been refused.. but.. some applied for settlement and been approved for a month.