Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN How long does he have to be married for to give citizenship?

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Katherine1989, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Katherine1989

Katherine1989 New Member

City:
    london
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    English
    I'm a Brazilian girl in love with a French guy. I met him like 3 years ago and i've been in love with him since then.

My visa is running out and I really want to stay in London, I asked my boyfriend to marry me so we can stay together in living in London, but he told me something that I didn't know. Apparently, he married another girl for £ 5k, but it was two years ago.

My question is: How long does he have to be married for, for that girl receive the citizenship?

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    A foreign national does not, by the act of marriage, acquire British nationality on marriage to a British person.
    To apply for British citizenship following marriage to a British national, the applicant must be resident in the United Kingdom and is only entitled to make the application after a continuous period of three years unconditional residence there. The passport of the applicant must show that he/she has “indefinite leave to remain” in the United Kingdom.

3. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    Sham marriage is a criminal offence and your boy-friend could be in trouble if he is found out and even worse, how such criminals make life more difficult for other genuine couples.

Having said that, the fact that your boy-friend is already 'married' and will have to divorce his 'wife' to marry you together with the fact that your visa is running out will give the UKBA a very good reason to believe that such a marriage would be one of convenience.