Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Expired EEA Family Permit - working soon, help!

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by goingtoeurope, Dec 27, 2011.

1. goingtoeurope

goingtoeurope New Member

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi there,

I'm in a pickle - to put it mildly.

I am a Canadian national and have an EEA Family permit. I have two residences, in the UK and in Germany, but am in the process of establishing said residences - since I just moved from Canada in late November. I am married to a Dutch national - so an EEA national.

Here comes the pickle.

My EEA family permit expired 3 months ago and I am starting a new job in the UK very soon. My job needs to see proof that I am eligible to work legally in the UK. When I got the EEA family permit issued in Canada, I was told that I do not need to keep renewing the 6 month permit. But online it says something different.

What are my options??

Also, will I be asked to turn around when I land in London and say my purpose is to work, with an expired EEA family permit?

Should I go for a same day visa service in the UK, although it is atrociously expensive??

Any advice would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    That definitely is a complicated situation. Unfortunately I do not have a great answer for you besides referring you to the UK Border Agency directly. With such a specific case, I really think you should talk over your options with them. The UK Border Agency site on EEA Family Permit and telephone # 0845 010 5200 will hopefully lead you to some firm answers.

Congratulations on the new job! I hope everything works out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. polskasweetie

polskasweetie Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Tagalog, bit of Polish
    I see 2 things that need answers in your post.

Work eligibility
    You are eligible to work in the UK based on the fact that you are married to an EEA National. Your right to work stems from this relationship (assuming you have the relevant documentation as proof of course). I have a sticky about this in the forum, please have a read. But to put it simply, yes you can work and your proof is your marriage certificate. This right is outlined in the EU Directive 2004/38/EC that allows freedom of movement to non-EEA nationals married to an EEA National.

Entering the UK to work
    As with any person wishing to enter the UK, you will need some form of entry clearance, which can be a family permit or a straight out visa. A normal UK visa will entail fees, while an EEA Family Permit is issued free of charge. You will definitely need to apply for this again, and soon.