Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Re-entering with expired EEA Family Permit

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by ClaireC, Aug 26, 2005.

1. ClaireC

ClaireC New Member

I'm an Australian married to an EU citizen. I have an EEA Family Permit issued by the British Embassy in Dublin which expires in early October.

I discovered only today that I need to submit an EEC1 form which can take up to 6 months to process - and will take that long, judging from other posts on this site. I thought I'd be able to renew my Family Permit, which was quick and easy to get.

I need to travel (within the EU) in late October for work. There seems no way that I'll have my residence permit from the EEC1 by that time. If I leave the country with an expired EEA Family Permit, will I be allowed back in? Or will I get deported to Australia? The Family Permit was just a formality, and the EEC1 is supposed to be so too, so it seems really harsh if I can't travel for the six months it takes for them to process the form.

As a Commonwealth citizen I'm allowed to enter the UK for 3 months without a visa, but I'm worried if an immigration officer who's having a bad day sees my expired Family Permit I'll get put on the next plane to Sydney.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Glauco

Glauco Well-Known Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Brazilian (BR)
    Languages:
    English, Portuguese
    Claire,
    I would apply as soon as possible with this EEC1 form.
    When it comes near the time you are going to travel, then you can submit a form asking urgent treatment request, and send it along with the proof you are going to travel, then they can process your application faster.
    But it´s better to send it now anyway.
    I know some cases where they could not process it fast, but then the Home Office stamped the passport giving a permit to the person to be allowed back in the country and then resume the application.

3. ClaireC

ClaireC New Member

Great, thanks for the advice.

4. bouchra brandt

bouchra brandt New Member

City:
    london
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Moroccan (MA)
    Languages:
    english
    hi can any body help me pleaseeeeeeee
    my familly permit expired 2 years ago my husband is duch i have 2 years old sond witch hes dutch also my husband want to go back to holland but my familly permit is expired.we want to take the train or the car my quistion is if we travel all together and they rufuse my entry can they send me back to my home conutry morocco is it allowed to do that or what can happend than im scared can sombody help us please.