Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Travelling with an expired eea family permit

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by rachelf, Mar 21, 2011.

1. rachelf

rachelf New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Australian (AU)
    Languages:
    english
    Hi I am going crazy trying to find out how i can travel with an expired eea family permit in my passport. The border office who is dealing with my visa application says i can travel but my get my family permit renewed at the embassy of the country that i am travelling to. I did this in australia which took 3 days but am unable to work it out for travelling to italy as i called the embassy and they said they cant help me and cant understand why i was told to call them... so i don't know what to do as i cant seem to get an answer. Is it safe for me just to travel and take some supoorting documents? has anyone ever had the renewal done that i have been told to do? if so how did you do it?

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    It won't be a problem at the UK airport to go out but for coming back, expired EEA Family Permit wouldn't work. You will have to renew it before you travel to UK otherwise the check-in staff wouldn't even let you board the plane.

The advise of renewing it in Italy because you are travelling there seems adequate but whether UK embassy in Italy would renew it for you or not is a different story. I guess you are going to Italy for a short trip only which can explain why would the embassy in Italy refuse to help. You normally need to be resident in the country if you expect the embassy in there to renew your permit.

Hope this helps

3. rachelf

rachelf New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Australian (AU)
    Languages:
    english
    so how do i renew?
    is it just simply that i cant tavel for another 2 years while i wait for the visa?