Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN EEA family residence permit qualifies for long residence?

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by enauro2, May 5, 2009.

1. enauro2

enauro2 New Member

Hello

I am currently under a student visa and it's valid till 2011. Does anyone know if I apply for EEA2 residence permit, time spent will still qualify for the 10-year long residence please?

As the IMMIGRATION DIRECTORATES' INSTRUCTIONS Chapter 18, 2.3.8 Time spent in the UK with a right to reside under the EEA Regulations, really confuses me.

Could someone help please? Has anyone experienced a similar case?

Many thanks

2. Eric-Poole

Eric-Poole Member

As far as I know the EEA procedure does not account for time spent under other type of Visas. Procedure is as follows:
    1. Applying under EEA2 will give you initial residency for 5 years.

2. After 5 years you can apply for Permanent Residency under EEA4.

Legally the processing shall not take more than 6 months, however UK BA is casually disregarding Article 10 of EU directive 2004/58/EC and current processing time is spreading well over a year.

Good luck. Eric