Egypt is the Hollywood of the Middle East and the cultural capital of the Arab world with Cairo holding the oldest and largest film industry in the region. Arab nations have produced as many as 4000 short and feature length films since 1908 with most of these films in Egyptian. The most popular films include Abdulla the Great, Ayam El-Sadat, Doaa al-Karawan, Halim, Al Haram, Malak al-Rahma, Mr. Karate, Rossassa Fel Qalb, Tharthara Fawq al Neel, Tito, Al-Yateematain, and Yawm Said.
There are many cineplexs showing a variety of movies both international and local. Find theaters and movie times on the Cinemas in Cairo
- Bandar Cinema - Telephone: 519 0770; Address: 1 Palestine St., 9th direction - New Maadi
- City Stars - Telephone: 480 2013; Address: Omar Ibn Khatab St Heliopolis
- El-Salam Concorde - Telephone: 622 6380; Address: Swiss Hotel Cairo, El Salaam Hotel
- Normandy Indoor Cinema - Telephone: 257 9195; Address: 32 El Ahram St., Heliopoli
- Wonderland Cinema - Telephone: 401 2354; Address: Wonderland Mall Abbas El Aqqad St Nasr City
- El Tahrir Cinema - Telephone: 335 4726; Address: 122 El Tahrir St., Dokki
- Galaxy - Telephone: 5325745; Address: 67 Abdul Aziz Al Saud St., El Manial
- Ramses Hilton Cinema - Telephone: 7606081; Address: 1115 Cornniche El Nil St, inside Ramses Hilton Mall
Cairo International Film Festival
The Cairo International Film Festival was launched on Monday August 16, 1976. International stars have been drawn to the festival in an annual celebration.
In Egypt, nightclubs are a bit different from in Western society. Most clubs are primarily a place to eat or drink with a show. Belly dancing is popular and there are many venues in which to enjoy.
Western-styled nightclubs are refereed to as "discos" and are often provided by hotels, but the scene is expanding.
Belly Dancing Nightclubs:
- Nile cruise - offer dinner and music with a belly dancing performance. Locals and tourists alike enjoy these evenings out. Several companies depart from the port near the Sheraton. Prices range from 250 to 400 LE.
- Hotels - 5 star hotels offer four-course meals and a show. Reservations are required and it is recommended that you dress to impress. Minimum rate of 250-650 LE.
- Abu Nawas Nightclub: Located at Mena House Oberoi Hotel, this is a well-known nightclub with live entertainment of belly dancers and singers.
- Jackie's Joint - offers preferential treatment for the Nile Hilton and has a pool tables, dance floor and karaoke nights.
- Al Yashmak Night Club: The Al Yashmak Night Club is located in a Bedouin tent and offers live entertainment.
- Cairo Jazz Club: One of the best nightclubs of Egypt. Contrary to the name, it offers Jazz, Reggae, Rock to classical nights.