Forum Barcelona

Forum of expats in Barcelona: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Opening a bank account in Barcelona

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by KatyChance, Nov 5, 2014.

1. KatyChance

KatyChance New Member

Living In:
    South Africa
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, some French, some Afrikaans
    Hi there, me again
    From what I have read it is fairly easy to open an account - at first as a non-resident while waiting for my NIE card - is that correct?
    I have just read that paying into the social security in Barcelona will cost EU225 a month so I have to believe there is alternative health insurance for less than that!
    What is my 'status' while waiting for my NIE card? I am hoping to organise a flat within two weeks of arriving and starting my Catalan course almost immediately too. But it says that to get my NIE card I have to give an address and get a motivation from someone - I guess this would have to be a bank manager as I would not have an employer. It's getting a bit confusing for what I thought would be fairly simple.
    As an aside I would only be looking for part-time work down the line - some TEFL courses and, if at all possible, editing in English, and even working in a retail outlet, a wine shop would be great as wine is a passion of mine (and Spain's is better than South Africa's though I wouldn't say that out loud here!)
    Thanks for the help
    Katy

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hello,

We have an article in our expat guide to Barcelona on bank accounts: http://www.easyexpat.com/en/guides/spai ... l/bank.htm

I assume that you could also get the motivation from your organisation teaching the Catalan course.

Regarding NIE you will get information here: http://www.easyexpat.com/en/guides/spai ... curity.htm

Don't forget that as a EU citizen, you are covered when travelling abroad within the European Union. You will find more information on the EU health card here: http://www.easyexpat.com/en/faq/health/q139.htm

Best of luck and keeps us informed on your move :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KatyChance

KatyChance New Member

Living In:
    South Africa
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    Hi Cyril
    Thanks for this but the reason I resorted to asking a question via the forum is because all the links leave something out of the equation! Something that may seem obvious to people already in Barcelona but not to an outsider (or 'uitlander' as they would be called here).

I am scouring many sites and now thing I have nailed the Catch-22 down to this:

Before I can do pretty much anything I need to register/apply for my Emapadronamiento - even before an NIE.

The problem remains that before I can do anything I need to have my money in a bank account in Spain, but to open an account some sources say I need to have proof of residence, even if it is just a signed letter from a landlord. However, of course, I can't pay for the rather disconcerting four months initial downpayment before occupation without having a bank account!

So my question remains: can I open a bank account in Barcelona with just a UK passport and the requisite funds - sans address or employer? This, of course, bearing in mind that South Africa, where I will be coming from, is probably the last country in the world to have strict foreign exchange controls, which is why I will likely be bringing the money with me. I do have a UK bank account but that will entail going to the UK and then transferring funds again, all of which is very expensive.

And I have found a site that says that with an Empadronamiento registration, I will be able to 'apply for health insurance': is this state health insurance and is it free and, if not, what does it cost (ballpark figure?)

I am not aware of the EU Citizenship card you mention, which would entitle me to cover within Europe (I was hoping my UK passport may do that). Not having lived in Europe apart from 18 months in the 1980s, I do not have such a card, nor even an awareness of such a thing!

I sound like a sorry case, I know! I was hoping my UK passport would be the key that opened many doors but at the moment my real quandary is that I can open a bank account, to keep my funds safe - while I pay for long-term accommodation securement and wait in line for my Empadronamient and, thereafter, my NIE.
    Many thanks for your input.
    Katy

4. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Hello,

I don't really understand why you need to go to the UK to transfer funds. Why can't you do this online or speak to them on the phone. You could pay the rent with your UK money in the meantime.

Regarding the EU card, as you are a EU citizen, you are entitle to the card. You can request it online (link in the FAQ article).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. KatyChance

KatyChance New Member

Living In:
    South Africa
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    Hi
    I don't have 'UK money', or nothing like what I would need. That money will be coming from South Africa and transferring money from this country is a nightmare due to the strict controls.
    Thanks for the heads up on the EU Card, I will look into it.
    Still not clear about opening a bank account though, hopefully somebody else can shed some light on this.
    Cheers
    Katy

6. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages: