Summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Warsaw


Today companies favour CV with international experience and degrees gained abroad (see our section on Erasmus).
An experience abroad will allow you to:

  • get a foreign degree as a complement to your training;
  • get a professional and personal experience;
  • discover another culture.

In order to help you to find a job for an experience abroad, we have selected a few organisations for each of the themes below.

You will find information on voluntary jobs or internship abroad in our other articles on the left column of this page.

Job hunting in Poland

Summer work and temp jobs in Poland are becoming more popular ways for students to earn some extra money during a summer break. Although it is a great way to get a taste for the work environment in Poland, you shouldn't expect to earn a lot of money. There are still much less job offers than in other Western countries and especially without Polish language knowledge, finding a summer job in Poland may be very difficult. Wages in Poland are still much lower than those in Western countries and that is also the main reason why Polish students prefer to work abroad during the summer instead of staying in the country.

But of course there are job opportunities on the market, waiting for those who will dig deep enough. You might use services of one of the temping agencies, that help young people to find a satisfactory occupation.

Do not forget the employment departement of Universities, High schools, available to students that are registered only.

Summer jobs and vacancies in bars, hotels, restaurant, catering

There are plenty of bars, restaurants, hotels and other facilities that needs help, especially during a busy summer time. The simplest way is just to knock at the door and ask about hiring opportunities in one of those places:

  • Vendors, sandwich shops, small shops
  • Waiting staff in bars and restaurants
  • Cleaning staff
  • Admin staff

You can also check the biggest Polish job-seeking websites and classified websites:

The student employment contract

Work permit

An employee willing to work in Poland needs to obtain a work permit. The authority empowered to grant such a permit is the province governor (voivode). Getting the permit is conditioned by obtaining a prior promise of granting work permit for individuals who do not have an adequate visa or permit for residence for a definite period.

A foreigner in Poland needs a valid visa to get a work permit. The validity period of such a visa cannot be longer than one year.


Working holiday visa

Poland doesn't currently have any working holiday agreements with other countries

If you have got visa for study in Poland, you can take part time jobs legally as a student only 3 months a year during vacation without permission. You cannot divert student visa into another type of visa. To start normal work or do business you need other type of visa (for work in Poland) or you need to get temporary resident permission or settlement permission. Right administrative power is voivodeship.

If a foreigner is a seasonal employee, then the visa is granted for the period of stay indicated in the promise, however not longer than for 6 months in the period of 12 months, calculated from the first day of entry. In effect, such a foreigner can come to Poland with the same visa, and the total time of his/her stay and work in Poland cannot exceed 6 months during one year.


Discount Cards

If you try to control your budget, using international discount cards is a great way to save on travel, shopping, food, entertainment and beyond. There are 3 main types of discount cards that are widely accepted in Poland:

If you travel by train, International students, to a maximum of 26 years, are entitled to a 37% discount on all trains except those in the InterCity (IC) or EuroCity (EC) categories. A school ID or International Student Identity Card (ISIC) as well as an identity document such as a passport verifying the student's age is required.

You can apply directly online to get the cards ( or by asking your University or youth centers.

You will find information on voluntary jobs or internship abroad in our other articles on the left column of this page.


Update 17/04/2008


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Partners

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Poland and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.




other job opportunities
Good options for student (possibility to work part-time or weekends) in Warsaw: or in Krakow:

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Go to the Forum to talk more about summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Warsaw, find a job.