Find a Job in Toronto

Summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Toronto

Home > Expat Guides > North America > Canada > Toronto

Job Hunting in Canada

Before to start any search, you need to make sure that you will have a work permit. Strict regulations mean that checks are often made on employees, often in places that attract a lot of international workers.

Canada's seasonal and short-term work is centered around the tourism and service industries. Summer months offer work on resorts and in restaurants, cafes, and bars while winter work can include working at ski/snowboard lodges as an instructor, hotel staff, or restaurant staff. Hiring usually begins in October. Check with sites directly, like Banff National Park in the Rockies or Jasper National Park. Another option is with the many campsites, caravan and holiday parks in the positions of wardens, sales, and reception staff. Some jobs offer accommodations and meals.

Search Engines

Search engines allow you to scan a great variety of jobs, and narrow down your search on certain criteria. It is also a good idea to post your CV online so hiring managers can find you. They may also allow you to sign-up for e-mail alerts of when new jobs become available.

Search engines allow you to scan a great variety of jobs, and narrow down your search on certain criteria. It is also a good idea to post your CV online so hiring managers can find you. They may also allow you to sign-up for e-mail alerts of when new jobs become available.


Expat and social forums are another resource for job seekers. Find out about other people's experiences and ask questions on the forum. Also go to our expat job listings in Canada.

Networking can help you find the perfect position. Chat with other expats and share your experience on Canada forums.

Common Positions  for Short-Term Work in Canada

Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program

The Human Resources and Skills Development Canada's Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program matches workers from Mexico and the Caribbean countries with Canadian farmers who need temporary support during planting and harvesting seasons, when qualified Canadians or permanent residents are not available.
Applicants must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be nationals of one of the participating countries
  • Satisfy the immigration laws of Canada and the worker's home country
  • Accept and sign an employment contract.

This program recruits workers between 18 and 30 for placements throughout the world, including in Canada. They take care of all the practical aspects of the trip, from tickets, work permits and insurance. Workers are paid for their labor and are provided with accommodation and food.

Working Holiday Canada
Offers programs throughout Canada to work in ski resorts. Arranges positions and provides advice.
This is also called Working Holiday Program (WHP), but best known in Canada as the International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative. This program provides work permits to young people aged 18-35 who are from one of the countries that have a bilateral reciprocal youth mobility arrangement or agreement with Canada. The 4 categories include: Working Holiday, Young Professionals, Internship related to studies, and Summer jobs. For more information on visa, consult the section on "Passport and Visas".

You will find information on voluntary jobs or internship abroad in our other articles on the left column of this page.

Teaching Foreign/English Language

It is possible to teach English or another foreign language in Toronto for a short term or holiday job. Please refer to the Teaching  English section for further information.

Student Employment Contracts in Canada

An employment contract is standard for any working environment and in the case of student or short-term work, a student employment contract may be used. This usually imposes a time-limit between a student and an employer, with the student getting a salary for his/her work. Making a formal student work contract is not mandatory (it is possible to sign a standard employee contract instead), but may have additional benefits for a student position.

Discount Cards

  • ISE Card(International Student Exchange Card) - An internationally recognized identification card with thousands of discounts in over 80 countries, it is valid for one year from date of issue. Students of ANY age are eligible, as well as faculty members and children to young adults from 12-25. The price is $25 and you can purchase it online at
  • SIC (International Student Identity Card) - Full-time students 12 years and older offers discounts on travel rates, accommodations, shopping, entertainment, basic sickness and travel insurance, and inexpensive international phone calls. A passport sized photo is required and the card costs about $25 and is good through December 31st of each year. It can be purchased at
  • IYTC (International Youth Travel Card) - A discount card for travelers under 26 who aren't enrolled in school, this card offers a smaller range of youth travel discounts. The card costs $22 card.

Work Visa

Many foreigners can enter and reside in Canada as tourists for up to six months (full listing under the section "Passport, Visa & Permits"). However, you must have a valid work permit to work in Canada.

Update 18/08/2018


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Canada and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Toronto, find a job.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).