Expat FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Home > Expat FAQ > Practical Life

Rights to ride small motorcycles and mopeds in UK

If you want to ride a small motorcycle and moped in the UK, you need to get a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) document at the Post Office. You will send the paper enclosed with your foreign driving licence, your passport and a cheque (about £70) - recorded delivery. You will receive within 3-4 weeks a British driving licence (credit card size).

The British driving licence will allow you to pass the Compulsory basic training (CBT), that is required to be allowed to drive a motorcycle. This test will last for all the day, is easy and at the end you should receive a certificate of completion, called the DL196. It cost about £100.

The CBT course involves five elements:

A. introduction
B. practical on-site training
C. practical on-site riding
D. practical on-road training
E. practical on-road riding (minimum 2 hours)

You can book your CBT online, by phone (0300 200 1122) or by mail (call to get a form).

The CBT is necessary to insure your motorcycle. You will have to drive with a L in front and at the back for 2 years (without the possibility to carry another passenger).



Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers
International Movers
Compare up to 5 quotes from our network of moving companies that can help you plan your international move and relocate your entire family.
Expatriate health insurance
Expatriate health insurance
Apply online for free quotes on repatriation assistance and expatriate and foreign health insurance.
Find accommodation
Find accommodation
Uniplaces is an online marketplace for booking mid-long term accommodation with thousands of verified properties.
You will get discount hotel rates, last-minute deals, hot deals, special offers, with a real-time reservation and on-line booking.

Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.

You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.

The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.

For other discussions, advice, question, point of view, get together, etc...: please use the forum.

Stay connected

- My Life Abroad -
A selection of expat stories

"A fun compulsive read!"
J. Matcham, Amazon

"I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
Patrice, Amazon