I am an Australian citizen (non EU citizen) living with my Danish girlfriend Nicole (EU citizen) in Sydney and we are moving to Barcelona in April 2004. We are considering getting married as this will make living, working and staying in the EU much easier. We have been living together in Sydney in a defacto relationship for 1.5yrs (which we can prove).
I understand that l need to apply for a Tarjeta Comunitaria (work and residence document) when l arrive in Spain which will give me full rights to residence and employment. I have a few questions which need to be clarified:???:
* Should l enter Spain on a simple tourist visa then apply at a police station for the Tarjeta Comunitaria straight away? Approx. how long does it take?
* Does my parter Nicole have to obtain a job before l can apply for the residence visa? Do l need a job before l can apply for the residence visa?
* What exactly does the Tarjeta Comunitaria entitle me to ie. permanent or temporary residency, Spanish healthcare system entitlements, pension system etc
* Once l obtain the residence visa will l be able to work anywhere in Spain, in any industry or possibly setup my own business? Is there any other visa¡¦s l will need to obtain or does the Tarjeta Comunitaria cover everything?
* Do you think it is best to get married here in Australia or in Spain? (l am not sure if Australia has signed the Hague Convention ie. recognition of marriage certificate)?
* Is there anything we can do in Australia before we move to Spain to speed up the process? ie. medical exam, criminal records paper etc
Thanks for your advice.