Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Non-EEA (nigerian)married to uk citizen, EU settlement visa?

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by gingerlash, Jan 27, 2010.

1. gingerlash

gingerlash New Member

Dear all,

I am a British Citizen residing in the United Kingdom,married to a Nigerian Citizen. We have been married since January 17th 2009. My husband currently works in Nigeria, I am a full time student.

We both wish to relocate to Spain, and would like to know how best we should go about this.

1. Is there a settlement Visa my husband can acquire?

2. Is it best to apply for a short term visitor visa to enter the country and then apply for residency?

3. Would i need to be in Lagos with my husband when he applied?

4. If my husband has funds that he can prove will sustain us - could we apply for a long term stay visa straight off?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Many thanks

2. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    Re: non-EEA (nigerian)married to uk citizen, EU settlement v

First off, things can be quicker and simpler if you are already residing in Spain or at least enter Spain together.

1- Yes, under the EU law, your husband has a right of residency in any EU country except UK since thats your home country. You must be of course already resident or can show proof that you are going to be resident in that particular country.

2- Yes, thats the best and easiest way. Your husband can apply for EU Family member visa which is granted free of cost ( NOT the usual visit or Schengen visa ) in Spanish embassy in Lagos and once in Spain together with you, can apply for a residence permit.

3- No, you don't need to.

4- No, you both need to be in Spain first to apply for his long term residency.

Good luck

3. gingerlash

gingerlash New Member

amazing - thank you so much for such a speedy response.

Would you know - do i or my husband need a job to apply for the settlement visa.... ?

4. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    Not required by law as long as you have enough money to support yourselves. Its however recommended to have work by one or both of you because that goes well for showing your 'connection' with Spain.

Good luck

5. ummkhalil22

ummkhalil22 New Member

City:
    memphis
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    english
    Non Eea Wanting to Marry and Settle in the Uk With a Eea Fro

Hi
    i was wondering about the settlement visa
    my husband and i are married relgiously and would like to get a civil marriage in uk and move there together
    i currently live in us and he lives in france..
    I have children from previous relationship, that will join us there
    these are my questions..
    Will i have to pay 644 pounds per child for the settlement visa or is it 1680 for the whole family?
    Should i apply for the settlement visas before i actually move there?, if so, how long in advance? Because i have 5 children, it can be expensive, so can i do that once i get there on the regular 6 month visit, or do they all have to be complete before i go?
    I see two options for marriage in the uk, with two different prices...one seems to be coming there on a regular tourist visa and getting married, and the other is a proposal...what exactly do i do to come there and get married straight to the point..and not the proposal way, and how do i do so while i am still living in the us and my partner in france. Can we both go there and get civil marriage and leave, and come back to settle later?
    Or do i have to wait until he settles there first, and then do the marriage.
    Finally, since we don't live together yet, we dont have any documentation jointly,i.e bank accounts etc... What could i do about that..or would i need that in the application for the settlement visa?

So sorry, so long, but hope somebod can help