Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Fiance visa

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by beeeso, Sep 16, 2012.

1. beeeso

beeeso New Member

City:
    Beirut
    Living In:
    Lebanon
    Nationality:
    Syrian (SY)
    Languages:
    Arabic, English, French, Spanish
    Hi guys,

My fiancee & me r intending to leave to London since she got a Job there.

I come from Syria & I study medicine in final year, she is a banking lawyer.

She worked in London for 8 years+ & she got the citizenship 2 years ago.

I am afraid since of the situation in Syria they might refuse my application.

If I want to apply with the full documents for the visa, What are they (bank statement, English certificate, some photos of us that we traveled & lived together...etc)

I have these two important papers:
    1. Bank Statement of (6000$ + very active syrian pound Saving account)
    2. Academic IELTs (6.5)

For my fiancee, her yearly income is about One Hundred Thousand pounds.

so what are my chances? & How long does it take to Obtain the visa? cuz i will be staying in France & i want to know how many days or months should I be there in order to fix up my Schengen visa.

Thank you

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    There are many posts and threads in the forum (such as http://www.easyexpat.com/forums/post72588.html#p72588) concerning this question. It is a common struggle to figure out what exactly you need.

The Guide to London includes information about finding work, visas, and more. There is also a FAQ section that addresses the different visas you may be interested in: http://www.easyexpat.com/en/faq/departure.htm. We also recently posted an article on obtaining a visa to live, study, work in the UK. And of course the UK Border Agency is the best official source of info: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Some great resources to work through! But in specific answer to your questions:

UK Fiance Visa Requirements:
    The sponsor and the applicant must intend to get married within a six month period.
    They must have met each other.
    They must intend to live together permanently.
    The applicant must be able to support him / herself, or be supported by their partner, without access to public funds.
    There must be adequate accommodation in place.
    There is no requirement that the applicant and the sponsor have lived together before applying.

Successful applicants receive a 6 month visa in which to come to the UK and get married. They are not allowed to work while on this visa. Once married, the recipients must apply for a marriage visa.

Hopefully this info helps you get started. I am not sure if coming from Syria will be detrimental. Anyone else have personal tips to share?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. beeeso

beeeso New Member

City:
    Beirut
    Living In:
    Lebanon
    Nationality:
    Syrian (SY)
    Languages:
    Arabic, English, French, Spanish
    Thanks a lot for the information.

One of the most crucial questions, how long does the visa take to be granted? 10 days or a month, two months...etc?

4. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Looking at the forums, I found a helpful discussion about wait times for the marriage visa: how-long-processing-time-for-marriage-visa-t25706.html

While people offer their personal experience there, it seems you can get an official wait time from the UK Border agency site: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ing-times/. Times depend on your nationality and the visa you are applying for. In general:

Best of luck with your application. Please write back with any questions you have and let others future expats know about your process & wait time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...