Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Question about Polish Citizenship and Spanish

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by Viktorya, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Viktorya

Viktorya New Member

City:
    Spain
    Hi, i have two questions:
    I am an American living in Spain for three years now.
    I was born in Belarus but my grandfather was born in Pre-WWII Poland. His town was destroyed by Germany and is now part of the Ukraine. can i apply for Polish Citizenship?
    I have heard that after living in Spain for 5 years you can get citizenship. I am living here illegally (overstayed my visa) but i have been registered with the consulate and received health insurance (about two years ago). I'm scared of applying for anysort of citizenship if there's a chance the police will interfere and send me back. i have been traveling back to America every August and Christmas without any problems.. so far..
    can anyone help???

2. NWE

NWE New Member

City:
    Warsaw, Poland
    Try your Polish consulate -- they're not likely to be the most helpful people you've run into, but they are the only competent ones on these issues. They certainly won't turn you into the cops, either. :)

3. marron

marron Active Member

Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English, Polski
    Usually the consulate where you (legally) reside is the one with jurisdiction and which will handle the citizenship application process, so the one where your legal address is (in the US) would be the one to handle it.
    Don't know about Spain, but normally to be come a naturalized citizen, you must have been there LEGALLY for a certain number of years, although sometimes amnesties are declared for illegals.