Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Polish Citizenship

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by Manya, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Manya

Manya Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Greetings.
    Checking to find out if I am eligible for Polish Citizenship.

My grandfather came to the USA In August 1920. He had my father in 1924 in the U.S.. My grandfather was not a U.S. Citizen at the time of my father's birth. (It is not known if he became a U.S. citizen. I am currently checking into this.) Because my grandfather was still considered a Polish citizen at the time of my father's birth this would make my father a Polish citizen. If my grandfather naturalized in the U.S. then he would have lost his Polish Citizenship in 1950, due to the Army Service Legislation Law. Does this break the link of blood line for Polish Citizenship? Or, would my father still be considered a Polish Citizen because at the time of his birth my grandfather was a Polish Citizen?

2. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    Yup sounds like you have an easy case. After your dad was born it doesn't matter what your grandfather did. You just have to have/find documents to prove when your grandfather arrive in the US, the birth certificate of your dad, and then evidence of the date your grandfather became a US citizen (or evidence stating he never became a US citizen). You'll also need documents stating somewhere your grandfather was a Polish citizen (old passport etc).

3. Manya

Manya Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Thank you kindly for your reply.

Does it make a difference that my grandfather's parents died, in Poland, before 1918, before Poland became an independent country?

4. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    It shouldn't - if you have their documents though it can support your case that they resided in Poland. If your grandfather was in Poland between 1918 and 1920 before leaving for North America he could very well be a citizen of the Second Polish Republic (therefore Polish). What documents do you have that prove his Polish Citizenship?

You just need to prove your grandfather was a citizen of the Second Polish Republic in the two years he would have in Poland before he left in 1920. He is the important one as he is the one who left Poland (as a Polish citizen? and had your father in the US allowing your father to become a US citizen at birth - but still obtaining the Polish bloodline from your grandfather).

5. Manya

Manya Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    So, this is good news! Thank you for your reply.

My grandfather fought in World War I for Poland. At the moment, I only have a copy of his birth certificate from Warsaw, which I know, does not prove Polish Citizenship, because he was born in 1892 before Poland became independent. I will probably need to acquire his Army Service Records. Would this be enough to prove he was indeed a Polish Citizen? How would I go about acquiring these documents?
    Thank you for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

6. Manya

Manya Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Can you tell me, or guide me to where I could find, a list of the documents needed to apply for confirmation of Polish Citizenship.
    Are the following important to include?
    Birth certificate for my grandfather, father, and self, all translated? Apostille?
    Marriage certificate for my grandfather, father and self, all translated? Apostllle?
    Confirmation of grandfathers Polish Citizenship. Such as? We have n passport. Where would I find a copy of his passport? What other document would confirm his Polish citizenship?
    Are death certificates for my grandfather and father needed?
    Grandfathers arrival in the USA.
    Evidence of Grandfathers naturalization, if it occurred.
    Are all original documents needed? Or are copies okay?

Military service document from Poland.

7. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    I'm no expert but I suspect a B.C. and proof that he served in the Polish army may be enough? It all depends on the case worker you get and how many supporting documents you have. You'd have to get them via sources in Poland (Warsaw may have records preserved - depends if they were destroyed in the second world war). If you don't speak Polish or want to go over there and dig into the archives you'd probably be best off hiring a citizenship lawyer who would have more experience in digging around archives and communicating with the case workers in Warsaw who will review your application. You'll need a Polish address no matter what to communicate with Warsaw and obtain your documents while they process your application.

8. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    I suspect there is no defined list but the MORE supporting documentation you submit to prove the link between your grandfather and yourself the better. You need to convince a case worker that you are who you say you are, and that your grandfather is your grandfather, and that your grandfather was Polish. Documents issued from Poland take priority in their decision - supporting documents issued by other countries saying you Grandfather was Polish are also helpful...

It is on you to prove all of these... the way Poland sees it, if you don't have documents that prove it, and can't dig up or find documents, then you are out of luck. All the documents you quote above would likely be helpful. Original documents are needed for all the key documents - if you don't want to submit originals to the government you may be best getting a in country lawyer to submit certified copies for you (as I did - see below).

In my case I submitted all the birth certificates and marriage certificates in the direct family line between me and my grandparent - like you I had an original Polish birth certificate of my grandparent. I also submitted evidence of the date that my grandparent nationalized in North America. I luckily had a old 1940's Polish passport that I submitted in original to 100% prove Polish citizenship of my grandparent. The case worker in Poland came back and asked for documents such as a landing card or exit/entrance visa of my grandparents new country (likely to prove they didn't go to Israel and lose citizenship on landing by becoming Israeli). That last document likely isn't a make or break.

Sounds like you have a bit of research and reading to do. All of the questions can be answered by reading the Polish consulate pages for "confirmation of citizenship." Such as here - http://newyork.mfa.gov.pl/en/consular_i ... izenship1/

In addition you can just hire a lawyer in Poland to do everything for you for a cost. That's the route I took and it was much easier as they got all the documents translated and didn't submit originals where they were not needed (but kept them in Poland in case they were asked by the government case worker to verify). I used Krzysztof Baneks office and they were helpful and all I needed to do was send them my documents and story and they did the rest. http://www.polish-citizenship.pl/index.php?lang=en

Read through this blog http://polish-citizenship.pl/blog/?p=89 written by one of the law offices. That will answer most of your question about citizenship documents. Go back via the archives in that blog by each date and it is all explained there.

That should get you started. It is a long process but can be quite rewarding learning about your past. Once you collect the needed documents it will likely take 10-12 months from submitting your application, answering questions, getting a confirmation letter, getting Polish birth certificates for yourself, getting a PESEL # (SIN #), and then applying for your passport. I'm almost at the end of the process and looking back the past year went by quite quick.

9. Manya

Manya Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Thank you ever so kindly for sharing your wealth of knowledge on acquiring Polish citizenship through ancestors.

I did contact Krzsztof and Baneks, and they did confirm my eligibility. Knowing that my son and I are eligible for Polish citizenship is rewarding in and of itself.

I have a bit of research and reading to do, and many documents to collect. I will get busy reading the informative links you supplied. All of the information you have shared in this post is greatly appreciated. It is most helpful. I cannot thank you enough!

10. markmarkkram

markmarkkram Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    english
    Manya. Take a read through the LA consulate website here. http://losangeles.msz.gov.pl/en/consula ... izenship2/

They have a much clearer writeup of what needs to be done and links to the forms. Remember if you submit via a consul they need to check forms and you still need an address in Poland. Costs of translations and authentications will also add up via them.

11. Manya

Manya Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Many, many Thanks!!!!

12. Manya

Manya Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Would I still be eligible for Confirmation of Polish Citizenship if my father fought in WWII?

13. gjene

gjene Well-Known Member

City:
    London, Ontario
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    English
    Manya

I do not wish to dampen your enthusiasm about what your trying to do. did you read the Polish Citizenship acts of 1920, 1951 and 1964? If your father served in the U.S. Army, that might cast doubt on your application.
    The way I understand the clause about being in a foreign military service, may cast doubt on dual citizenship. So, you may want to get that clarified before you apply. Also, ask Curious George about his posting where he talks about a list of different documents that may be needed.
    Then, there is other types of public office that may disqualify your application if you, a parent or grandparent may have held.