Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Marriage british citizen with non british citizen

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by lola24, Apr 2, 2012.

1. lola24

lola24 New Member

City:
    NEW YORK
    Living In:
    Argentina
    Nationality:
    Argentine (AR)
    Languages:
    English, Spanish
    Hello,

I am wondering if any of you could help me with this situation I am in...

So my husband (uk citizen) and I (south american) got married 4 month ago... we lived in argentina for over 5 years and now we want to move to uk. So he was approached with a great job opporunity and left on 16th of jan... i am still in argentina waiting for my visa ( had applied for sopuse visa a month and a half ago)

Now the process is taking longer than what i was told by the British Embassy in Argentina and no one can give me an answer...

My question is.. is it any other way i can move to uk without having to apply for this visa?? I heard once that if you get married in a church all you need is to convince the priest that is not a fake marriage, wothout having to apply for fiancee visa... does anyone know anything about this??? aslo being already married, isnt it any way to legalize the marriage and thats it???

I havent seen my husband for 2.5 month and I honstly dont want to wait any more...

Any information will be much appreciated!!
    Than you!

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    I would recommend starting with FAQ section on departures. Did you apply for a UK Marriage Visa? The UK Border Agency's page offers information about visa processing times.

" 90 per cent of non-settlement applications within 3 weeks, 98 per cent within 6 weeks and 100 per cent within 12 weeks of the application date;
    and 95 per cent of settlement applications within 12 weeks of the application date and 100 per cent within 24 weeks of the application date.

Please note that we define 1 week as 5 working days."

Are you working with the British Embassy in Buenos Aires (http://ukinargentina.fco.gov.uk/en/)? Anyone have experience in this situation?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. polskasweetie

polskasweetie Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Tagalog, bit of Polish
    The church will not have any influence in the Home Office decision to give you a spouse visa, this is based entirely on the documentation you provided as supporting evidence for the application. Expect a processing time of about 6 months, though sometimes it is a lot shorter than this. But definitely in the 6 weeks that you've been waiting, it's still early days.

4. lola24

lola24 New Member

City:
    NEW YORK
    Living In:
    Argentina
    Nationality:
    Argentine (AR)
    Languages:
    English, Spanish
    Thank you Polska for the information!