Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Community of expats Immigration Poland - Polska: share your experience on expatriation, get local information.

Register  -  Login  -  FAQ

Advanced search  - Search the whole website

User's Charter

Language:
Stay connected

Looking for clarification regarding Polish citizenship

Forum Some of the topics covered are: Polish citizenship confirmation application process (documents to submit, translation requirements, wait times), Polish citizenship laws Acts 1920, 1951 & 1962, Polish citizenship confirmation eligibility, Proving Polish citizenship documentation and evidence, Getting your Polish passport/PESEL after you have a positive confirmation and Polish citizenship confirmation lawyers.: Some of the topics covered are: Polish citizenship confirmation application process (documents to submit, translation requirements, wait times), Polish citizenship laws Acts 1920, 1951 & 1962, Polish citizenship confirmation eligibility, Proving Polish citizenship documentation and evidence, Getting your Polish passport/PESEL after you have a positive confirmation and Polish citizenship confirmation lawyers.

Looking for clarification regarding Polish citizenship

Postby prospectivepolish » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Hey Forum,

I noticed it has been nearly a year now since my first post when I started the process of confirming my Polish citizenship. I still need some help so I thought I'd post something up and perhaps hear something back eventually-starting to realize this forum moves at glacial speeds but I'm not sure where else to get this information from.

I am trying to confirm Polish ancestry through my great-grandfather, he was a Polish citizen when he moved to the US in 1928. My grandmother was then born in 1932. My great-grandfather became a US citizen in 1935. At this point I have gather all the relevant documents including great-grandfather's original passport and birth certificate issued in Polish.

I thought I'd go ahead and find a lawyer in Poland to speed up the process and I had spoken with one who would do it for me. I was about ready get all set up with him and send documents when I heard back from one of the lawyers that is often mentioned on this forum that I would not be eligible for Polish citizenship because my grandmother would have lost it on becoming an adult in 1951. This cast doubt on the process for me and I haven't done anything with it since then.

There doesn't seem to be any document that states my grandmother would have lost citizenship for the reason the lawyer mentioned and infact I remember reading a translate Polish law stating explicitly that people of Polish parent born in the US during that time retained Polish citizenship. However, I was never able to clarify this with the lawyer nor find a competent third opinion that could give the me the straight facts of the whole situation.

Sorry for such a long post but hopefully someday some one will come across it and either find it useful or be able to help me out. This is certainly a very complicated process and for whatever reason it seem the Polish Government does not want to lay down bare what the regulation are.

prospectivepolish
Backpacker
Backpacker

Re: Looking for clarification regarding Polish citizenship

Postby rivenroyce » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:48 am

I'm in the same situation - did you manage to get it?

rivenroyce

City: vancouver
Nationality: Canada (ca)
Living in: Canada
Languages: English

Re: Looking for clarification regarding Polish citizenship

Postby yasdnilelis » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:25 pm

My situation is similar also! Any updates?

yasdnilelis

Nationality: Canada (ca)
Living in: Canada
Languages: English