Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Looking for clarification regarding Polish citizenship

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by prospectivepolish, Jun 10, 2010.

1. prospectivepolish

Hey Forum,

I noticed it has been nearly a year now since my first post when I started the process of confirming my Polish citizenship. I still need some help so I thought I'd post something up and perhaps hear something back eventually-starting to realize this forum moves at glacial speeds but I'm not sure where else to get this information from.

I am trying to confirm Polish ancestry through my great-grandfather, he was a Polish citizen when he moved to the US in 1928. My grandmother was then born in 1932. My great-grandfather became a US citizen in 1935. At this point I have gather all the relevant documents including great-grandfather's original passport and birth certificate issued in Polish.

I thought I'd go ahead and find a lawyer in Poland to speed up the process and I had spoken with one who would do it for me. I was about ready get all set up with him and send documents when I heard back from one of the lawyers that is often mentioned on this forum that I would not be eligible for Polish citizenship because my grandmother would have lost it on becoming an adult in 1951. This cast doubt on the process for me and I haven't done anything with it since then.

There doesn't seem to be any document that states my grandmother would have lost citizenship for the reason the lawyer mentioned and infact I remember reading a translate Polish law stating explicitly that people of Polish parent born in the US during that time retained Polish citizenship. However, I was never able to clarify this with the lawyer nor find a competent third opinion that could give the me the straight facts of the whole situation.

Sorry for such a long post but hopefully someday some one will come across it and either find it useful or be able to help me out. This is certainly a very complicated process and for whatever reason it seem the Polish Government does not want to lay down bare what the regulation are.

2. rivenroyce

rivenroyce New Member

City:
    vancouver
    Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    I'm in the same situation - did you manage to get it?

3. yasdnilelis

yasdnilelis New Member

Living In:
    Canada
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    My situation is similar also! Any updates?