Forum Denmark

Forum of expats in Denmark: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Is it easier to marry in Denmark? (Non EU + EU)

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by angsted1, Feb 1, 2005.

1. angsted1

angsted1 New Member

Hi! My boyfriend (German) and I (Indian) want to get married this year ... however getting married in Germany seems to be a big hassle as they require an enormous amount to paperwork to be done beforehand (looks like it can take 4-5 months before we are legally allowed to marry). I have heard that it is far easier to get married in Denmark. Why is that so? What kind of paperwork can we circumvent?
    Is it only easier to get married in Denmark with all problems cropping up only after marriage (proving that the marriage was legitimate, etc.)?
    I would really appreciate your advice on this matter! THANK YOU!

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    The law in Danmark is not that different from the law in Germany, and at the end you will have a EU citizenship. I do not understand what are the problems that you are talking above :rolleyes:

3. angsted1

angsted1 New Member

problems

There are many problems associated with marrying in Germany ... particularly getting a certificate if marriageability (and a proof of current address in my case) -
    I am non-resident Indian (NRI) so although I hold Indian nationality I don't live there. So getting a "Certificate of Marriageability" or an affidavit to the same purpose from the local sarpanch (akin to a mayor) in the area I am supposed to be registered in is a huge problem. Official registration practices for NRIs in India are quite mysterious.
    Another less bothersome problem is that after this month (my studies come to an end), I will be jumping between countries on visas (looking for jobs) and therefore I don't really have an official address to provide to the state which they require ... so I'm hampered by this as well.

I really don't know what to do as a result and no real help is provided from the German Standesamts (they don't really know how to deal with such complex situations).

I have heard that marrying in Denmark is far easier because you only need to provide a Birth Certificate, a passport and live in the country for 2 weeks in order to get married. Is this true? If so, it would be a dream come true ... planning a marriage wouldn't have to be such a huge ordeal then!

4. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Re: problems

I do not know about Denmark. Why don't you ask at the Danish consulate? I know that in England you just need to live in the country for 7 days before to get married (there is a discussion :arrow: here).

Edit Sun Feb 13, 2005: I just saw that the rules have changed since the 1st of February 2005.

From 1 February 2005, people who are subject to immigration control who wish to marry in the United Kingdom (UK) must either:

- Hold entry clearance as a fiancé/e or marriage visitor, or
    - Hold a Home Office certificate of approval, or
    - Be a person with settled status in the UK (e.g. indefinite leave to remain)

- People who are subject to immigration control will also be required to give notice to marry to a registrar at one of 76 designated register offices in England and Wales.

All the information is here: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

5. Chichi

Chichi New Member

City:
    Germany
    Hi There,
    there was a report once on TV about weddings in Denmark. It is indeed easier to get married there and you do not need all those papers that they require in other countries.

Many EU citizens who would like to marry non Eu go there to get married and it seemed quite uncomplicated.

I am married with a German Guy (I am French) and we got married in France. It was a real pain in the ... to gather the paperwork needed from the German Administration! We were living in London at that time and I can imagine how complicated it is for you as a non-EU.

Well I wish you good luck!

Chichi

6. Coyan

Coyan Addicted member

City:
    Den Hague
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Re: problems

Hi Angst,

Yes, it is much easier to get married in Denmark. The best place for a quick marriage is the Tonder Kommune. Find here is their website with all the information you might need:

http://www.toender.dk/default.asp?mnu=78#engelsk

After the marriage remember to Legalise the Certificate at the Foreign Ministry to be acceptable to the German Authorities.

If you need some more information please contact me at :
    coyan_law@yahoo.co.uk

Regards