Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Can we get married in the UK? U.S. + EU(spanish) in the UK

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by justjohn, Jan 19, 2005.

1. justjohn

justjohn New Member

Hi all,

I am a U.S. citizen here in the UK as a 6 month tourist. My fiance, is Spanish and has been living/working here for 9 years. We want to get married here in the U.K. and are planning on it.

My 6 months expires on March 13th. I am curios to know the following:

1- Can we legally wed in the U.K.? ( a U.S. citizen here as tourist )
    2- Will I have to leave the U.K. before I file for some kind of status that allows me to stay here, or can I apply for some kind of temp visa or something after we are wed? (I have read that I will have to leave, but that the easiest way is to go to the Chicago British Consulate will all our paperwork, and they will issue the visa the same day. Though of course if I dont have to leave the U.K. before I get some kind of status that would be best. )

We are both a little naive with this process, and are quite grateful we found this forum! Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time,

John and Ana.

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Re: Can we get married in the UK? U.S. + EU(spanish) in the

According to the general rule, you do not need to be resident to wed someone, so a tourist could qualify. However, usually, in order to give notice at the Register Office you must have lived in the district for seven days immediately before the notice is given. Your partner should also have lived for the same seven days at his/her address.

Therefore, as your partner is a resident in UK and is able to prove her address, you shouldn't have any problem to wed. If you choose the town hall where your partner lives, you need to visit the Register Office and give notice of your intention to marry in person.

After that, the rule will depend of several factors:
    - should you decide to become a Spanish citizen, you might have to wait several months before the Spanish immigration office register your marriage, and therefore you will need to renew you temporary visa (ask information at the Spanish embassy - if it's a Shengen visa, or at the British embassy). But after that you will have the rights of any EU citizen.
    - should you decide not to become a Spanish citizen, as a partner of a EU citizen you are probably allowed to benefit the EU rules for citizens... However I am afraid I do not know much on that and again you will have to as the British embassy.

Best of luck