Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Need papers for my boyfriend

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Erin, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Erin

Erin Active Member

Hi, i'm a spanish girl living in the ukfor 2 years, i'm not register yet as uk resident. My boyfriend is from kosovo and we just recieved his pasport aplication as refuse, we are appealing againg but just in case it will came refuse again we are thinking to get marriedhere in the uk. Could anybody tell me please if we get married in the spanish embassy or consulate will he get the passport?? If not, any advise please?
    I'm desperate and dont know what to do cause he could be deported any day.
    Thank you

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    You do not get married at the embassy, as it is the official representation of the country (diplomatic level).
    I assume that the consulate - as a super-Town hall, can be in charge of the procedure. However you could get married at any UK council, provided the fact that you can prove that you have been living in UK for at least 7 days.

I am not really sure of the following process, but I assume that afterward you will get a provisional marriage certificate and then you will have to start the process for your new husband to become Spanish.

You better ask information to your consulate, and to the city hall for the wedding.

3. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    :(
    I am sorry to say , but rules have changed as from 1st of february 2005.

"Are you planning to get married in the UK after 1st February 2005? If you are someone who is subject to immigration control whilst in the United Kingdom, you will need to follow the new rules regarding entry clearance, applying for a Home Office certificate of approval for marriage and giving your notice to marry at a designated register office.

A brief summary:
    From 1 February 2005, people who are subject to immigration control who wish to marry in the United Kingdom (UK) must either:

Hold entry clearance as a fiancé/e or marriage visitor, or
    Hold a Home Office certificate of approval, or
    Be a person with settled status in the UK (e.g. indefinite leave to remain)

People who are subject to immigration control will also be required:

to give notice to marry to a registrar at one of 76 designated register offices in England and Wales. They must attend the register office together.
    In Scotland and Northern Ireland, all register offices are designated. Notice to marry is normally given by post."

It will be best to contact http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Regards

Triple H

4. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Thanks for the information Triple H, obviously I was not aware of the new rules... :oops:

5. Coyan

Coyan Addicted member

City:
    Den Hague
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Since you've been given the opportunity to Appeal he is legally resident in the UK and in this respect you have no problem with registering for a Marriage in the UK to enable him secure an EU Resident Permit with you as the Sponsor.

However you may have to get the process of a new application right otherwise some ignorant heads at the Home Office having noticed his past records can create all sorts of problems for a new EU Application. If you need some more information send me mail at:

coyan_law@yahoo.co.uk

6. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi there
    Coyan I dont think your information is correct .Have a look :

Who is not subject to immigration control?

You are not considered to be subject to immigration control if you are in one of the following categories:

You are a British citizen
    You are an EEA national**
    You have a certificate of entitlement demonstrating you have a right of abode in the UK in your passport.

Who is subject to immigration control?

All people who are not EEA nationals***, who require leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom are people subject to immigration control.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/home/news/press_releases/

Regards

Triple H

7. Coyan

Coyan Addicted member

City:
    Den Hague
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    If your case allows for Appeal you are entitled to certain legal rights even though you may not have been formally recognised as having a right of abode. But your presence in the country is legally recognised and in such respects entitled to certain basic rights including the right to a family.

This new law requiring registeration before marriage is a very grey area. This is what happens in countries like the Netherlands and Germany. I strongly believe that sooner than later somebody is going to challenge it in the Courts under Section 8 of the European Human Rights Law and like a number of UK Home Office Cases involving Human Rights this will also be thrown out of the Window .

8. Coyan

Coyan Addicted member

City:
    Den Hague
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Even in the Netherlands a number of their Immigration Control rules are coming under attack. The Law on the Legalisation of documents (which have been in existence for about 7yrs) from the so-called 'problem' countries such as Ghana, Nigeria , Columbia, India and Pakistan was challenged on Human Rights grounds last year and their Courts threw that law out.

This particular Home Office law is just full of holes with regards to its legal soundness and effectiveness of implementation. Anyway its just 2 weeks old. Lets see how effective it is.

9. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    I agree with you,but according to this new immigration rules no people apart from UK,EEA citizens and residents have right to get married without home office aproval. :confused:
    What can you do?,always confused

Regards

Triple H

10. Coyan

Coyan Addicted member

City:
    Den Hague
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi Trips,

Those are the hard facts of the rules. It still ought to be tested and I beieve it will fail on a number of Human Rights grounds like most Home Office cases have. I will suggest whoever is in such a situation to shop around the marriage registeries. Some may not have a clue what it involves and may just allow you to register.

It was the same concept that was tried sometime ago to check illegal immigrants and their children from receiving medical care and attending schools.

Doctors and Headmasters refused to comply with the law claiming they did not train to become immigration officers. Eventually those laws failed to have any effect.

So I wouldn't advise anyone to panic. Just shop around for a marriage registry. If worse comes to worse I advise both couples to enquire about marriage at Gretna Green in Scotland, which I believe will protect their years old tradition of providing a safe haven for eloping and run-away couples.
    http://www.weddingguide.co.uk/articles/ ... sp#Sgretna

11. Erin

Erin Active Member

Another way

Hi, thanks for all your information but as the law has change we are not allow to get married in the uk, but 2 of my boyfriend's friend got married in the english consulate in kosovo with english girls and in 2 months they got the visa and after a while a supousse they'll get the passport, do you think this will work with me even if i'm not english as i'm living in the uk? Anybody knows anything about this?
    thank you

12. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    :D
    In previous topic we were talkin about something very similar http://www.easyexpat.com/forums/ftopic_4638.htm .
    Get EEC1 FORM , you would get 5 year residence permit ,and as such you could get married in the UK:

"Unless you are engaged to an EU Citizen (not British citizen in this situation!) with a five year residence permit you must apply for entry from outside the UK. If you wish to apply from within the UK in other circumstances your application is likely to be refused unless you can show exceptional reasons why the application should be granted."

I think that would work ,I would not leave UK, but I am not sure what IND would make out of the fact that he is to be deported(your husband to be),pending appeal.There is no doubt in my mind ,good lawyer could sort out that for you.I think you need some legal advice!

Regards

Triple H

13. Erin

Erin Active Member

Well hi is been living in uk for 5 years, most of the time working,paying tax and rent we've got letters and probes of all this, references from the different jobs, the current one, references from english friends and work mates, the contracts of the two houses we've been living together and references from the landlor. I think this will be enought but i'm worried that maybe we go in there to get married and for whatever reason he can not get back to uk, cause as i said before the cases that had been sucesfull were with english girls.

Anybody with more information please, i'll be gratefull

14. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    You are in better position then english girls,EU rules apply.

Just follow this topic and previous one and you should be OK.If you get married in the UK,and prove your relationship,do all right forms , I dont see the problem.If IND make problem out of it good solicitor would do the trick.

15. Erin

Erin Active Member

Thanks for a lot for your help
    The only problem i see is that the first hearing was refuse even with most of the evidences and me as a witness, The judge did not believe us, so i supoouse this new appeal will came refuse too, Anyway another person is now in kosovo waiting for the answer and he did this with a spanish girl so just waiting if he is sucesfull we'll go starigh away.
    I'll let you know in case somebody is in this situation
    Thanks again

16. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    If you were married when giving evidence in court of appeals , ;) would have been different story.

:rolleyes: