Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN EU Marriage in UK

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by technospirit, Apr 29, 2005.

1. technospirit

technospirit Member

Hi,

I need some advise urgently. I am an Indian by nationality and working in the UK on a TWES permit. I am in love with a Lithuanian girl and we planned to get married but unfortunately my visa expires in the second week of May and I cannot return to UK under the TWES permit rules. Also, since the new rules have come in effect from 1st February 2005 for foreign marriages, I dont know about how I should go about it since time is running out?

Please advise....will really appreciate your timely help.

TS.

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    You need to reaply for intrance, as anyway you will have to apply to a UK city hall in advance to your marriage.

3. technospirit

technospirit Member

Thanks but more detail

Hi...

Thanks for your reply but i was just wondering what would the city hall do for me and also if I have to seek any advice from any solicitors for this matter.

If you know any solicitors, could you please recommend some? Also, can i reapply for entry to UK under fiance visa and what documents are required?

Really appreciate your help in this matter...

Cheers!

TS

4. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    In order to get married, you need to give notice at the Register Office. You must have lived in the district of the town hall for seven days immediately before the notice is given. Your partner should also have lived for the same seven days at his/her address. It does not matter if either of you moves to a different address before your wedding day so long as the seven days residence requirement is established before you each give notice.

You must wait at least sixteen days after each of you has given notice before the marriage ceremony takes place. During this waiting period the notices are displayed on the Register Office Notice Board.

On the sixteenth day the Register Office issues a certificate of authority which is required for a legal marriage. You will need one certificate for the bride and one for the groom. There is no fee payable for these certificates.

Regarding a sollicitor, you can call Bishop & Sewell - Tel: 020 7631 4141. They mainly do property transactions as a lot of sollicitors, but they have different sollicitors for different matters and they might give advice for immigration.